¤ Epilogue

"Sorry, I'll have a lot on my plate until the middle of next year. Unless you want to wait."

Nate was disappointed when Rick, Julian's younger brother, said he couldn't accompany her to Stockholm. After two years of marriage to Julian ended, Nate finally decided to follow the man, pursuing the love she wasn't sure was still left in his heart.

Thanks to Abby, her old friend and co-worker, Nate has the opportunity to volunteer in Stockholm. She could finally set foot on the same land as Julian now, see the same sky, and breathe the same air as him!

Nate went around the city with the address Rick gave her. However, she couldn't find it even though she used the map application on her phone. Then Nate decided to take the tram that usually takes tourists around the city because her legs were giving up after walking all day. She passed many beautiful red and orange buildings, and a large park with a fountain in the center.

The tram finally arrived at a large church. The tram driver explained that it was Katarina Church, a church that was quite famous in Stockholm, and was also a tourist spot.

The passengers got off the tram and went to the church to take photos. Nate followed them and saw a red carpet pass under the closed church doors and down the stairs. It seemed like there was a wedding going on, because not long after, a wedding car decorated with flowers stopped in front of the church.

Nate waited with a flutter. Even though she didn't know the person who was getting married, she had experienced the enthusiasm of a wedding. Nate and the other visitors waited until the front door opened. Several bridesmaids were seen coming out and standing on the stairs with flower baskets in their hands.

Nate waited nervously until the bride who was in the spotlight today finally came out of the church, waving at the people there. She looked beautiful in a white dress and one of her bridesmaids was holding the train. Nate didn't wear a dress like that when she got married and she wasn't jealous because it looked bothersome. However, the bride looked elated with a smile from ear to ear while she was holding the man who had become her husband. Nate glanced at the groom and felt her heart stop beating.

No, it didn't make sense. Nate couldn't take her eyes off the husband and wife who were now coming down the stairs along with cheers from the people around them. No, maybe it was just a man who happened to look like him. Even if Nate looked at him from any angle, the man looked a lot like Julian. But, it couldn't be him, right? It was impossible that none of Julian's family members would tell Nate that their eldest son had remarried.

"Matilda?"

Nate turned her head. She almost flipped out when she saw Tara looking at her in shock, as did Will who followed his wife. No, it wasn't real. Nate immediately turned away when Rick finally appeared and realised her presence there.

"Nate! Nate!" Rick grabbed Nate's arm and stopped her. "How did you get here? When did you arrive?"

"Why didn't you guys tell me?" Nate asked in a trembling voice as she couldn't hold back her tears. "Why didn't anyone tell me that Julian was getting married?"

Rick put his hand on Nate's shoulder to calm her down. "I... I was going to tell you..."

"When?" Nate interrupted. "Why are you hiding it? I always share my worries with you all this time. You're the one who knows best how much I can't forget Julian. Why are you doing this to me?"

Nate glanced at the people whose attention was now diverted to them, including Julian. He looked at her from the stairs with an expression that Nate couldn't read, while his wife beside him tried to get him to continue their steps.

"I've been meaning to tell you about this wedding for a long time." Rick said defensively. "But your mother..."

"Gosh, Mum." Nate muttered while covering her face with both hands. Rick sighed.

"It's been two years, Nate. I know it's still difficult for you to forget my brother, but he has started a new chapter in his life now. I sincerely hope you also move on with your life," said Rick.

Nate raised her head. She looked at Julian who was still frozen where he was standing. Maybe it would be the last time Nate would be able to meet and see Julian in person. She couldn't hide her disappointment. Even though Rick always said that Nate was Julian's first love and the only woman he loved, it turns out she could easily be replaced within two years. Nate couldn't blame Julian, she was the one who made those feelings disappear because of her own doing.

Nate turned to leave without saying a word to Rick, while tears coursed down her cheeks. She would go home, she would go to mend her broken heart. Nate would no longer be able to have Julian, her hope was gone. That chance was gone the day she told him they should go their separate ways.

"Tillie! Tillie!"

Nate was tempted to stop. She knew that there was only one person in this world who still called her by that name. However, Nate continued her steps, she even half ran across the road.

"Tillie, wait!"

"Julian!"

Nate turned around after hearing the screams of the people behind her. Julian, who was chasing her, turned his head towards a speeding car. The world seemed to stop spinning when Nate saw the car hit Julian so that he flew quite far and landed on the side of the road. Nate screamed hysterically when she saw that the body of the man she loved was no longer moving.

-END-

P.S: This is a sneak peek of the second series, Because It's You. But, wait, don't delete this story from your library too quickly! Because I will update it here when the second series is published. Thank you~

Update on April 3rd, 2024 (Previously published in April 7th, 2021 in Indonesian)