¤ Chapter 31 - Extra Part

P.S : This is an extra part that is not even available in the Indonesian version. Happy reading~

♤♡◇♧

Nate sat in the waiting room with a blank look. Never once in her life did she think she would be in court like this.

Nate thought her marriage would be over as soon as she signed the letter. However, ten months passed, and it was still not finished. During this process, she never once met Julian. He left everything to Rick, his younger brother, to take care of it. Even when Nate attended marriage counseling sessions, Julian never showed himself. Rick only said that his brother was busy with his work in Stockholm. Nate wasn't surprised, that was very typical of Julian. He wouldn't pay attention to things that weren't his interest.

Nate turned when the door to the room opened. Rick waved at her, in a black suit, and neatly combed hair. Come to think of it, Nate's separation from Julian actually brought back her closeness to Rick. She had heard that they were playmates as children, but somehow their relationship felt awkward as adults. In fact, maybe they would no longer communicate if Nate didn't marry Julian.

"How have you been?" Rick asked while sitting next to Nate.

"I've been better." Nate sighed. "What will happen after this, Rick? Are we going to be strangers again?"

"What are you talking about? We were never strangers in the first place." Rick took Nate's hand and held it. "You're still family to me, whether you're Julian's wife or not. You can contact me whenever you need someone to talk to. I'll listen to all your stories."

Nate saw the sincerity in Rick's eyes. She wondered, if she had previously complained about Julian to Rick, would he have given her advice, or at least helped her to bring his brother to his senses? No, what Nate learned from this divorce was not to open up about her marriage to other people, especially the opposite sex.

Then, a court officer called them to get ready to enter the courtroom. Nate's hand felt cold in Rick's grip, feeling afraid, even though she already knew the final outcome of this trial. Nate sat next to a lawyer that Julian had hired for the two of them. She didn't think they needed to hire a lawyer for each because they had nothing to fight over in this divorce. They had shared things they felt were necessary without any feud. And according to the lawyer, that's what made their divorce process run more smoothly.

Then, Nate turned her head, and saw Julian enter the room. There was a feeling of emotion that enveloped her, although sadness soon took over when she realised that Julian was present at their last moment as husband and wife. Nate almost got up to greet him, but her common sense told her to stay still in her chair. She couldn't take her eyes off Julian, who then sat next to Rick, even though he didn't look at her at all.

Nate was busy with her own thoughts throughout the trial. Was this why Julian never showed up to handle the process himself? Could it be that he did it on purpose to avoid unwanted things? Nate even tried to hold herself from standing up and expressing her objection of this separation. Her hands were clenched at her sides, cursing Julian who never once looked at her.

Then, the trial finally ended. They were each handed a certificate stating that the marriage between the two had ended. They greeted the judge and all court parties who took part in the trial. Nate approached Julian's desk, hoping to shake his hand, or at least talk to him one last time. However, the man turned his face away, and asked Rick to leave the room.

Nate quickly caught up with them and saw Julian talking to their lawyer. Longing filled her chest to see him talking with a smile on his face. Nate even saw Julian take out his wallet from his suit pocket to give his business card to the lawyer. It was a birthday gift Nate gave him when they were newly married, and she felt warm in her heart to see Julian still using it.

Nate went to the toilet and decided to see Julian again later. However, she didn't find Julian or Rick when she returned. Did they leave without saying goodbye to her? Nate left with the lawyer, feeling disappointed. After that, the lawyer bid a farewell to her, while Nate stood outside waiting for Dad to pick her up.

Nate's gaze wandered towards the road in front of her. The marriage she had been in for years ended with just a piece of paper in her hand. Things wouldn't change if she tore it up, right? It won't bring back the days when she betrayed her husband and turned to someone she thought cared more about her. That also wouldn't make Julian willing to look at her again. And now Nate had to let him completely leave her life.

When Nate looked around, she noticed a Range Rover still in the parking lot. Her hope surged in an instant when the car door opened. However, it was Rick who got out of the car, and went over to Nate.

"Hey, so... we split up here?" Rick asked.

Nate nodded. "Doesn't Julian want to see me?"

"I don't think so. He also didn't want you to come to him, so I'm the one to say farewell to you in his behalf."

Nate's lips trembled, even though she tried to hold it in. "Okay. Please convey this to him as well, then."

Nate stretched out her hand towards Rick. After he shook her hand, Nate moved closer to hug him. However, the tears she had been holding back for months actually burst into Rick's chest.

"Tell him I missed him, Rick. No, tell him I'm sorry. I'm really sorry." Nate sobbed while Rick rubbed her back.

"I'm sorry, Nate. I can't help you with anything."

Nate pulled away from Rick and quickly wiped the tears from her face. Rick caressed her hair, just like he used to do when they were little. However, things have changed now. There would be no more Tillie holding Julian's hand everywhere.

"I'll call you later," said Rick.

After giving Nate another hug, Rick returned to the car. He sighed as soon as he sat behind the wheel.

"You see, my suit is wet with her tears. Why don't you want to see her?" Rick asked while putting on his seat belt.

"Why should I?" Julian replied in a cold tone.

"Won't you regret it later? Don't you remember the last time you couldn't say goodbye to her before you left to Japan?"

Julian just looked straight without answering. Rick clicked his tongue.

"She said she was sorry and apologised."

"That's all in the past, Richard. Now, can you drive so I can hurry back to Stockholm?"

Rick complied without much argument. His brother still didn't look back even once when their car passed in front of Nate. Rick drove the car while thinking about how much Julian had changed as an adult. He didn't believe it at first when he heard that his brother had ignored Nate throughout their marriage, because that was absolutely impossible. However, ten months into the divorce process, Rick couldn't help but sympathize with Nate. Not once did Julian ask about her, and he also didn't really care every time Rick talked about their divorce process.

Even so, Rick regrets why Nate chose to turn to another man as the solution. He felt hurt too, and he understood why his brother didn't want to say much when people around him asked him to reconsider the decision to divorce. As a man who has loved Nate for a long time, Julian must have felt disappointed and angry when his love was betrayed. Then, seeing his attitude today, Rick was sure that Julian hated Nate so much that he didn't want to see his ex-wife's face.

Rick turned his head when he heard Julian blow his nose. His heart sank when he saw his brother covering his face with both hands. His shoulders trembled, trying to keep his sobs from being heard. No, that didn't seem to be the case. It wasn't that Julian didn't want to see Nate, but he couldn't face the fact that it was a goodbye when he saw her face.

Rick gripped the steering wheel as he swallowed hard, holding back the pain in his throat. "You still love Tillie, don't you?"

Update on March 13, 2024