¤ Chapter 17

Nate wiped the sweat off her forehead. She stretched her back and waist that ached from bending over while she scrubbed the bathroom floor. After making sure there wasn't any soap scums left, Nate walked out into the sitting room, where she slumped onto the couch. A sigh left her mouth for the umpteenth time.

Julian went for a meeting, so Nate decided to clean their house since she couldn't do it on weekdays. She has been cooking, washing dishes, doing laundry, vacuuming, mopping, and cleaning toilets since morning.

Nate pulled out her mobile phone and looked at the screen. Keith hasn't texted her since last night, he hasn't even replied to her messages. Didn't he say he was going to his parents' house yesterday? Did something happen?

Nate looked at the clock on the wall. She had to make dinner before Julian came home. She was swamped by house chores today that she only had milk this afternoon. So, her body trembled, and her stomach began to ache. She was struggling in the kitchen, preparing roasted meat while munching on French fries every once in a while.

Nate turned her head when she heard a car pull into the driveway. She quickly put the cookware she had used in the sink. She would wash it later after they finished dinner.

"Have you eaten?" asked Julian as Nate welcomed him at the door. Nate shook her head.

"I made roast meat," replied Nate, grabbing Julian's bag and suit.

"Oh, I'm starving. I'll take a shower first."

Nate went to make a cup of coffee while Julian took a shower. She had just finished setting the table when Julian appeared in a T-shirt and shorts and wet hair. He never spent long in the shower.

Julian cocked his head toward the sink. "What's with all the mess?" he asked as he sat down at the dining table.

"I'll wash it later," replied Nate as she sat down across from him.

"It's just the two of us and you can't keep the house clean?" Julian continued, reaching for his glass. "What if there's a baby later? Moreover, you're also considering about getting a cat or a dog."

Nate closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "I'm tired. I'm not in the mood to argue."

"You're home all day. What could make you so tired? I had a headache and came home to a messy house like this. You don't know what I'm dealing with clients today, don't you?"

"No, I don't. And how am I supposed to know?" Nate put her fork back down. "I cleaned the house all day, and I cooked for you, and you nag over dirty cookware? Why should I bother doing all that, then? I'd better loafing around while you're gone."

Julian fell silent at the trembling in Nate's voice. Nate's tears fell against her will, making her get up, and went to the bedroom. She lay in bed sobbing. She was surprised because she cried all of a sudden over something trivial like this. Maybe because she was too tired.

Nate turned her back on the door and closed her eyes. Moments later, she heard Julian enter the room. He hugged her waist from behind.

"Tillie, are you still mad at me?" he asked. He caressed Nate's hair gently. "I'm sorry. Don't cry anymore."

Nate neither answered nor refused as Julian fell asleep hugging her. To cheer her up, he asked her out the next day. Julian even made breakfast because Nate complained that her stomach hurt from not eating dinner.

"You should finish your food before sulking next time," said Julian as he placed a plate of sliced bacon, eggs, and sausage in front of Nate.

Forty minutes later, they were in a car driving farther and farther from the house. Nate didn't ask where they were going because Julian never had a plan when he was traveling.