¤ Chapter 4

That morning, Nate was on the bus taking her to the new workplace in London Borough. Unfortunately, among all the companies she applied for, she didn't make the cut. That's why she was excited and immediately accepted when she was offered to work as a procurement staff at a computer distributor company, even though she applied as a telemarketing staff.

Nate stared out the window, keeping track of every stop she passed. Julian dropped her off when she called in for the interview the other day, and she memorized the directions to her workplace.

After getting off at the bus stop, Nate crossed the street, and turned at an intersection. She stopped at a building and entered through a gate. A security guard escorted her to the lobby to meet the receptionist.

"How may I assist you?" asked the receptionist named Devi, a young girl of Indian descent.

"Yes, please. I want to meet Ms Miranda. I'll work here from today onward," answered Nate.

Devi led Nate to a room to her left and asked her to wait there. Nate sat in one of the glass partition walls rooms which had several chairs and a round glass table. She also interviewed in this room back then and she could see into the reception desk from here.

Nate looked around. She was confused to see the place was so empty since the first time she came. Where do all the employees work? Nate saw a staircase to her left leading upstairs. Could they be up there? However, it seemed too quiet. Besides, Nate has hardly ever seen a company building with a yard like this these days. Most companies in London are in more modern, multi-floor buildings with several companies inside. Could this be an illegal company? Or some scamming company? Nate cursed herself for not finding out more before accepting the job.

Soon after, Ms Miranda appeared carrying a folder in her hand. She was about 5'6 feet tall, with some gray hair. Nate estimated that she was in her 50s. The glasses perched on her nose reminded Nate of the boss at Devil Wears Prada. She was quite stylish, with a red blouse, skirt, and high heels. She approached Nate, then handed her an employment contract, and asked Nate to fill it out.

"The initial contract is six months. If you work well, you'll be contracted again for a year. If we feel you are the right fit for the role, you will be appointed as a full-time employee." Ms Miranda explained.

Nate started filling out the contract without worrying about how long it was. After that, Ms Miranda took Nate to the room behind the reception desk, which Nate just realised there was PROCUREMENT written on the door.

"This is your office. It's placed in the lobby because you are the first to receive when goods arrive. You have to check them before they're handed over to the storage," said Ms Miranda. "For today, you'll be trained by one of the senior marketers, but he hasn't come yet. So, you can wait here."

After Ms Miranda left, Nate walked over to her chair, and sat down on it. Woah, she never had her own office before. She used to occupied in a room with many cubicles where it was always noisy. There were a comfortable armchair, a computer, and a telephone in this office. Standard, but just being alone in a room like this made Nate felt excited.

At 9 am Devi invited Nate to meet thesenior marketer, Harry. At first, Nate thought Devi would take her up the stairs across from her office. However, it turned out that she led her to a double door to the right of the reception desk.

Once through the double doors, Nate finally found signs of life in this place. There were several IT technicians on the ground floor, chatting with the delivery couriers. The technicians worked out in the open so those on the first floor could see them straight down. That's where the computer equipments were checked before being stored in the storage at the end of the hallway.