¤ Chapter 27

Nate looked out the window of the bus that was taking her home. The pain in her head and nausea stopped her from buying food. Her mind has been increasingly filled with Julian lately, making it difficult for her to sleep every night, and triggering her gastritis to recur.

Nate felt empty in her chest. Why didn't anyone ask about her condition? Neither her own parents nor Julian's parents contacted her just to ask how she was doing. Nate's eyes filled with tears remembering her disappointment with Mum. She realised that she was not a child who would make her parents proud because her education was not higher than her sister's, and she had always been ignored since she was little. However, Nate didn't expect that Mum would have the heart to sabotage her youngest daughter's future husband.

Being home alone didn't make Nate feel any better. She never realised how much she could miss Julian. He could be very indifferent to her, but in fact, only Julian cared about her all this time.

Nate's lips trembled. Annie was right, Nate was too focused on Julian's one mistake to forget all the good things he had done for her. Even when Nate felt that Keith was the one who paid more attention to her, who cared more about her, who was always there for her, he was the one who hurt her more deeply. Nate just realised that when she tried to list Julian's bad things, there was actually no one better than him.

Nate wiped her runny nose. Crying wasn't her thing. She had always been instilled in herself since she was little that no one would care even if her tears had dried again. Nate went to the cupboard to get a bag. When she returned to Brighton yesterday, Nate took the painkiller that Mum usually takes whenever she doesn't get enough rest. Mum said it also made her sleep better, so Nate wanted to try it. The pain in her head due to lack of sleep made her stressed at work.

"Hm? What's this?" Nate muttered as she felt the inner pocket of her bag. As far as she remembered, she would only put small things in the pocket so they wouldn't get scattered. Why was there something sticking out there?

Nate unzipped the pocket and reached into it. She gaped when she took out a smartphone from inside. Her eyes widened even more when she realised that the phone in her hand was Julian's.

"What? Why is it here? When did I put it in here?" Nate muttered, half panicked, half confused.

Nate tried to replay her last meeting with Julian in her head. She was dumbfounded after remembering that he had left his phone because the battery had run out. Nate didn't use the bag again after that night and only took out her phone and wallet to move them to another bag. Why didn't Nate realise it sooner, even though she was wearing the bag back to Brighton?

Nate rushed to the nightstand to charge Julian's phone. He must have panicked after finding out that his phone had disappeared. There was a feeling of relief that overwhelmed her when Nate found out that Julian wasn't avoiding her as she thought.

So many message notifications, emails, and calls were missed after Julian's phone was turned on. Nate looked at the screen uncertainly. Should she contact Tara? Actually, Nate was doubtful because her in-laws were definitely still disappointed in her. However, Julian clearly said he would go home with his parents that night. So, they must be the ones who know better about where he was.

Nate dialed Tara's number from Julian's phone. She listened to the tone anxiously. Nate was afraid Tara wouldn't answer it if Nate called her from her own number.

"Julian?"

"Tara, it's me." Nate said quietly.

"Matilda? How could Julian's phone be with you? Didn't he say his phone was lost?" Tara asked.

"No. I think we both forgot that he left it in my bag at that time," replied Nate. "Can you... Can you tell Julian about it?"

"Why don't you tell him yourself?"