¤ Chapter 25

"Keith is really going to marry Alicia," said Nate.

Penny and Layla looked at Nate in surprise.

"How do you know?" asked Penny.

"I asked Keith in person when we went out together yesterday," replied Nate.

"Why did he deny it when we asked?" Layla protested.

Nate grinned. "I'm actually quite close to him. So maybe he felt bad if he lied to me."

"Then what about Alicia's boyfriend?" asked Penny. "It couldn't be that Keith liked Alicia so much that he would make her leave her boyfriend, right?"

There was a slight pain in Nate's chest when she heard Penny's words, as if those were directed at her. "Alicia said she has broken up with her boyfriend. So I don't think Keith would think he was the one who caused their relationship to end."

Penny and Layla were gawked. They were started speculating about Keith's relationship with Alicia, while Nate returned to her office. She didn't care about the bad things her two co-workers were talking about Keith. She didn't care about him anymore. She even ignored the bruise on her elbow from falling off the scooter yesterday.

Nate also no longer tried to contact Keith as the guy asked. Since hearing Keith's confession, Nate's concern seemed to have disappeared along with his feelings for her. Angry, sad, disappointed, hurt—she didn't know which one better described her feelings at the moment.

Nate never thought Keith would turn his back on her. He changed Nate's position in his heart as quick as lightning. Alicia was indeed younger than Nate. But, was it possible that Keith also felt that Alicia cared about him more, loved him more, understood him better, and was more everything than Nate?

Nate cursed herself. How fools. Keith clearly said that Alicia preferred him to her boyfriend. Something Nate didn't do in the first place. Nate couldn't blame Keith for waiting for her uncertainty to make him look for another woman. She couldn't bring herself to demand his sweet nothings because she didn't want to look like an annoying ex-girlfriend.

♤♡◇♧

"Is she still showing off her relationship to you?" Layla asked. Lily nodded.

"I don't know if it's because Alicia doesn't have any friends to share it with or something, but she always tells me when she's going out with Keith. They even came to my house several times to the point that I had to pretend to leave for various reasons. But, they insisted on waiting until I came home, although it was late. I felt bad for my parents because of their visit." Lily complained.

Nate just chewed her food without joining in their conversation. She, Layla, Penny, Lily, and even Devi were having dinner together after work lately. Because Nate was alone at home, she felt sluggish to cook, and felt lonely if she had to eat at home.

"So you have seen for yourself that they're indeed together," said Penny.

"Of course." Lily replied. "Alicia even sent this to me once."

Lily took out her phone and showed them a photo. Nate also looked and saw a photo of Alicia and Keith in bed with only a blanket covering their bodies.

"Where was this?" asked Devi.

It's Keith's flat, Nate could immediately recognise it.

"At Keith's flat." Lily replied. "Who would have thought that his flat was close to Alicia's?"

Only a few blocks apart, Nate also knew this interesting fact.

Then Nate noticed the ring on Alicia's ring. She recognised the ring that Keith had wanted to buy for her when they went to buy a birthday present for his mother. So Keith actually bought the ring, but gave it to Alicia? The girl also intentionally posed as if to show that Keith had tied her up with the ring.