¤ Chapter 9

Nate glanced toward Keith's office. He looked busy at his desk. Keith still didn't reply to Nate's messages as of this morning and she couldn't ask him about it.

"Here's a list of PCs coming next week. Please let me know when they're arriving so I can follow up with my customers," said Harry as he handed some sheets of paper to Nate.

"All right." Nate glanced at Keith's office again. She was standing right by the large window, so it was impossible for him not to see her. However, Keith didn't seem to care and was reading something on his computer.

Nate returned to her office dejectedly. It wasn't Keith's fault that he was disappointed that she lied to him. No, Nate wasn't completely lying either. She never told Keith or anyone else that she was single. She just never mentioned her marital status.

Nate busied herself while listening to music through the speakers on her computer. She turned off the music when it was time for lunch, and got ready to go out. Nate opened her desk drawer to take out her lunch and habitually checked her mobile phone. She just realised that there was an incoming message, which she didn't seem to notice earlier.

Wanna go have lunch with me?

Nate turned her head at the marketing room, wondering if Keith was still there or not. This message was sent a long time ago, could it be that he has left because she didn't reply?

Nate rushed outside and turned her head toward the car park. Keith's scooter was also gone. Maybe he had left or—there he is. Keith was sitting on his scooter quite a distance from the building as usual. Nate went straight to him.

"Sorry, I didn't hear your message earlier," said Nate.

"It's okay," replied Keith, handing Nate the helmet.

They didn't speak to each other until they arrived at the restaurant and waited for their orders to arrive. Nate didn't know what to say. Sorry for upsetting Keith? However, was he really upset?

"Sorry I didn't reply to you last night," said Keith all of sudden. "I... honestly, I was surprised to hear you're married. I just... you know, I just assumed you had a boyfriend, but I never thought you actually have a husband."

Nate bit her lower lip. "Sorry for never telling you. I never intended to hide my status from you. Are you angry?"

"I'm not angry, I'm just... a little disappointed." Keith sighed. "Actually, when you first started working there, almost all the male employees were talking about you. They compliment how charming you are, saying that there has never been a female employee quite like you. It made me curious and want to meet you in person."

Nate's face turned red at Keith's statement. She never knew that she became the subject of conversation in the company.

"And then, after I met you, I felt that the curse of the company wouldn't apply to me." Keith continued.

"What curse?"

"About the employees who will become an old bachelor after working there. You know, I almost believed in that myth, since I couldn't really find any girls to date after I worked there."

Nate would have laughed if she hadn't seen Keith's very serious face. "How could no girl want to date a handsome guy like you."

"But that's the fact, no girl wants to be with me. Really," Keith replied, though Nate could see the corner of his lips turn up at her words. "So, after getting to know you better, I honestly had my hopes in you. But I never thought it would be like this. I mean, you're not even wearing a wedding ring. That's the first thing I make sure when I meet a girl."