¤ Chapter 30

"You're not pregnant, why can't you even go out to answer the phone?" Ms Miranda shouted from the first floor when the phone on Devi's desk kept ringing.

Nate immediately got up from her chair and closed the door to her office a little harder on purpose. She returned to her desk while biting her lip to prevent her from cursing Ms Miranda. Nate was talking on the phone in her office at the time, and she didn't know Devi wasn't at her desk. Nate knew she was going to get in trouble with Ms Miranda, but she couldn't stand it anymore. Not only did Ms Miranda fail to show her sensibility, but she also tested Nate's level of patience. That woman offended her many times, even with the smallest things Nate did.

"Do you think I should submit my resignation letter one month in advance?" Nate asked as she, Layla, Penny, and Lily went out for lunch.

"Are you going to resign?" Penny asked in surprise. Nate nodded.

"My contract ends next month and I don't think I'll continue because my husband is moving to Stockholm," replied Nate.

"But it's a very far place. It will be difficult for us to meet again later." Layla moaned.

"I don't think you should submit your resignation," said Lily. "From previous experience, Ms Miranda would complicate your resignation process. There was once a storage staff who submitted her resignation, but Ms Miranda made her have to replace some missing items from before she even worked at the company."

Nate's jaw dropped. "She did that?"

"I guess because the items were only discovered missing after the previous staff left." Lily replied. "I've been planning to resign since I was assigned to the storage department, but Emma will find it difficult if she has to train new staff."

"Ah, right," said Layla. "Before Nate came to this company, there was once a marketing staff who proposed to resign when his contract ended. Then the next day he was suddenly told it was his last day on the job. Even though his contract was still two weeks away and he didn't receive the rest of his salary, even to this day."

"Alicia also did not receive her salary for four days of work because she resigned without notice." Lily continued. "I heard Keith once asked Ms Miranda about that."

"But, I would always notify the company if I wanted to resign." Nate said uncertainly.

"I guess it's all up to you," said Lily. "You can submit it before your contract ends, there probably won't be any problems."

Nate was seriously considering resigning from the company. She no longer felt comfortable being there—also because meeting Keith every day reminded her of her betrayal of Julian. Nate hated every time she remembered how she had been so captivated by all the sweet words Keith had given her.

"I actually want to resign because I plan to return to my parents' house in Brighton. My husband and I have separated," said Nate when she was finally alone together with Layla while sitting at the bus stop.

Layla was flabbergasted, not knowing how to respond. Nate actually sent back the divorce suit the other day. She was encouraged to refuse the divorce because she didn't want to hurt Julian again. He was hurt because of her, and Nate felt she was not worthy to stay by his side. Julian deserved to be happy, Julian deserved to have a better woman than her.

"Does Keith know?" Layla asked carefully. "I mean, he's involved in this mess, right? Are you going to just watch him marry Alicia soon?"

"He doesn't need to know." Nate replied. "After all, it wasn't his fault that he ended up with Alicia. Alicia chose him over her fiancé, right?"

Layla frowned. "Wow, he would feel like he was the most handsome man in the world if he knew he had ruined two relationships at once."

Nate also couldn't bear to live alone in their house. The house they only lived in for a few months, even though Julian had been preparing it for a long time. Maybe that way Nate would feel a little less guilty. She would be able to forget Julian and moved on like he did.