¤ Chapter 26

Nate pushed open the door to her parents house. "Mum! Mum, I'm coming!"

"Mum's away." Annie appeared from the stairs yawning. Her face surely looked tired. "Also, can you keep it quiet? I just put my baby to sleep. She was up all night."

"Mum's away? Where to?" Nate asked as she went to the kitchen to get a cold drink.

"Canterbury. She also took Dad."

"Canterbury? Why are they going to Canterbury out of the blue? Do they have relatives there? Didn't you tell them I was coming?"

"Honestly, after finding out you were going to stay overnight, Mum said she could finally rest. She's tired of helping me since I gave birth."

Nate didn't respond. She knew one of the reasons Mum left must be because she didn't want to see her. Nate wondered, what Julian had told their parents?

Nate brought the pizza and chicken wings she bought into the sitting room. She also put several cans of soda on the table. Annie immediately grabbed a slice of pizza as soon as Nate opened the box.

"Aah, breastfeeding women always feel hungry," said Annie while munching on her pizza. "I gained weight, much the same when I was about to give birth. You know, it feels like I just finished a big bowl of mashed potatoes, but the next minute I've already devoured two servings of pasta."

Nate laughed at that. Annie was very picky about her food, so Nate was surprised to hear that her sister wanted to eat mashed potato.

Annie shook her head when Nate offered her a can of soda. "I can't drink soda or alcohol while breastfeeding." She said. "Oh right, I heard about the commotion when I just gave birth. You're going to separate—you and Julian?"

Nate just pretended to pick out chicken wings at the table. She didn't know how to respond to that.

"Why? What has he done to you?" Annie asked again.

"Nothing." Nate replied briefly.

"So? Did you do something?"

"I don't wanna talk about that." Nate took a sip of her soda.

"Don't you feel sorry for Julian? He has done everything for you."

"Why do you feel sorry for Julian instead of me? If he cared enough about me, I wouldn't have made a decision like this."

"Yeah, yeah. You scolded Julian saying he was overreacting when he showed you off in front of people. Then when he was acting indifferent, you also complained that he didn't care about you. How do you actually want him to behave?" Annie pushed Nate's arm with her foot. "Can't you be grateful that you got a man as good as Julian? He has done everything to comply with your wishes."

"You talk as if you know him better." Nate grunted.

"I don't really know Julian, but I know all the stories about him, even before he married you. Did you know that Julian has never dated in his life because he was waiting for you?"

Nate frowned at Annie. "What?"

"His brother once said about it. Mum and Dad were visiting Julian's parents' house at that time. As I recalled, Julian hadn't returned to the UK either," said Annie. "Rick said there were lots of women trying to get close to Julian. Even his friends tried many times to get Julian to go on a blind date. Julian refused and said he had his future wife waiting for him. Who knew that the woman who had become his wife would actually want to leave him?"

Nate scoffed. "Who knew that the woman he was referring to was me? Did he ever mention my name?"

"Of course it's you. As soon as he returned to the UK, he went straight to Mum and Dad to propose to you." Annie continued. "Then Mum clearly told Julian to reconsider because you can't cook, you oversleep all the time, you're messy, and stubborn. Julian said he was fine with it. He would cook for you, he would let you sleep as you like, he would clean up the house for you, and he would give in to you."