¤ Chapter 10

Nate had just returned from lunch with Layla when she saw Pete closing half of the building folding gate. Pete would only do that at the end of working hours was over and no one left in the building.

"What's happening? Why are the gate closed?" asked Nate, rushing over to Pete.

"You haven't heard the news yet? Mrs Carter passed away and all employees will go to mourn," replied Pete.

Nate and Layla looked at each other speechlessly. Mrs Carter was a senior procurement whose position was replaced by Nate. The old lady helped Nate a lot with her work via chat messenger. No wonder her chat has been inactive since yesterday.

"Are you going to mourn?" Layla asked.

"I don't know," Nate replied doubtfully. Her Dad always told her that you can skip on attending a wedding ceremony, but you can't skip on mourning. "Will everyone go?"

"You guys can ride on Keith's car," Pete responded.

Nate's heart involuntarily beat faster when she heard Keith's name. She immediately went to her office to get ready, while Devi had also tidied up her desk. However, Nate did not see Keith's Mini as they headed out into the car park. Instead of a Mini, there was a Ford, and some administration department staff started to ride it.

"You're not coming?" Keith asked, startling Nate. He motioned for them to get into the car, while he sat behind the wheel.

Nate, Layla, Lily and Devi as the youngest employees sat in the back of the car. They went to the funeral home to pay their last respects to Mrs Carter. Then, they finally left one by one, including Layla, Lily, and Devi. Only a few senior employees including Mr Paul who stayed behind.

Nate came out of the funeral home, contemplating where to go next. Would she go straight home, or stop by to buy a new novel, and read it over coffee at a cafe? Just thinking about it made her happy.

"Hey, wanna go for a ride?" asked Keith who suddenly appeared and patted Nate on the shoulder.

Nate followed Keith to his Ford and sat down beside him. "I thought your car was Mini."

"I actually have both. I mostly drive the Mini and use the Ford only for personal matter. Because I had to bring more people to the funeral home, so I drive this," said Keith as he drove his car. "Anyway, I'm sorry that I suddenly kissed you the other day. You didn't offended by that, right?"

Nate's face flushed. She didn't mind at all because Keith's brief kiss made a strange thump in her chest every time she recalled it. "No, I didn't."

Keith took Nate to Hyde Park. It was vacant today, since it wasn't a holiday or weekend. Nate was surprised as Keith took her hand and led her down the path under the big trees.

"Why do you look so nervous?" asked Keith.

"My husband never hold my hand like this when we walk together," replied Nate embarrassed. Keith couldn't hide his smile and held her hand even tighter.

"You never share anything about your husband," said Keith.

"Because there's nothing to share about him." Nate replied.

"But I always wonder what kind of man is lucky enough to see you every morning when he wakes up."

Nate looked down. "I'm not that special. If I am, at least he would put me before anything else. It seems like I'm the one struggling in our marriage."

"Do you love him?" asked Keith as he led Nate to sit on one of the benches under the big oak tree.

Nate pondered. She never understood her own feelings. "He's nice, but... can I be considered to love him, even though I often feel hurt by him?"