The Party

Harry POV

When he arrived in the entrance hall at eight o'clock that night, he approached Luna. She was wearing a set of spangled silver robes that were attracting a certain amount of giggles from
the onlookers, but otherwise she looked quite nice. Harry was glad, in any case, that she had left off her radish earrings, her butterbeer cork necklace, and her Spectrespecs.

"Hi," he said. "Shall we get going then?"
"Oh yes," she said happily. "Where is the party?"
"Slughorn's office," said Harry, leading her up the marble staircase away from all the staring and muttering.

"Did you hear, there's supposed to be a vampire coming?"
"Rufus Scrimgeour?" asked Luna.
"I - what? You mean the Minister of Magic?"

"Yes, he's a vampire," said Luna matter-of-factly. "Father wrote a very long article about it when Scrimgeour first took over from Cornelius Fudge, but he was forced not to publish by somebody from the Ministry. Obviously, they didn't want the truth to get out!"

They were already approaching Slughorn's office. Whether it had been built that way, or because he had used magical trickery to make it so, Slughorn's office was much larger than the usual
teacher's study. The ceiling and walls had been draped with emerald, crimson , and gold hangings, so that it looked as though they were all inside a vast tent. The room was crowded and stuffy and bathed in the red light cast by an ornate golden lamp dangling from the center of the ceiling.

"Harry, m'boy! Come in, come in, so many people I'd like you to meet!" boomed Slughorn, almost as soon as Harry and Luna had squeezed in through the door.

"Hermione! Hermione !"

"Harry! There you are, thank goodness! Hi, Luna !"
"What's happened to you?" asked Harry.
"Oh, I've just escaped — I mean, I've just left Cormac, Under the mistletoe," she added in explanation, as Harry continued to look questioningly at her.

"Serves you right for coming with him,"
"I thought he'd annoy Ron most, I debated for a while about Zacharias Smith, but I thought, on the whole —"
"You considered Smith?"
"Yes, I did, and I'm starting to wish I'd chosen him, McLaggen makes Grawp look a gentleman. Let's go this way, we'll be able to see him coming, he's so tall..." 

Harry drew closer to Hermione and said, "Let 's get something straight. Are you planning to tell
Ron that you interfered at Keeper tryouts?"
"Do you really think I'd stoop that low?"
"Hermione, if you can ask McLaggen—"
"There's a difference, I've got no plans to tell Ron anything about what might, or might not, have happened at Keeper tryouts."
"Good, Because he'll just fall apart again, and we'll lose the next match —"
"Quidditch! Is that all boys care about? Cormac hasn't asked me one single question about myself, no, I've just been treated to 'A Hundred Great Saves Made by Cormac McLaggen' nonstop ever since — oh no, here he comes!" She moved so fast it was as though she had Disapparated; one moment she was there, the next, she had squeezed between two guffawing witches and vanished.

"Seen Hermione?" asked McLaggen, forcing his way through the throng a minute later.
"No, sorry," said Harry, and he turned quickly to join in Luna's conversation, forgetting for a split second to whom she was talking.
"Harry Potter!" said Professor Trelawney in deep, vibrant tones, noticing him for the first time.
"Oh, hello," said Harry.

"My dear boy! The rumors! The stories! 'The Chosen One'! 'The Dark Prince'! Beware he is returning My Boy! He will kill! Of course, I have known for a very long time...The omens were never good, Harry...But why have you not returned to Divination? For you, of all people, the subject is of the utmost importance!"

"Ah, Sybill, we all think our subject's most important!" said a loud voice, and Slughorn appeared at Professor Trelawney s other side, his face very red, his velvet hat a little askew, a glass of mead in one hand and an enormous mince pie in the other. "But I don't think I've ever known such a natural at Potions! Instinctive, you know — like his mother! I've only ever taught a few with this kind of ability, I can tell you that, Sybill — why even Severus —" And to Harry's horror, Slughorn threw out an arm and seemed to scoop Snape out of thin air toward them.