3| Awkward Car ride

Take Me to Church
Awkward Car Ride (Chpt. 3)
———

"What do you suppose it is?" Sam asks. His arms are crossed and he leans against the wall. As him and the other two men take their places in Salem's apartment, she realizes just how small her housing is.

She shrugs, a bit embarrassed and pulls out a chair from her desk. She sits down, resting her elbows on her knees.

She shakes her head and send a quick glance to Dean before locking eyes with her other brother again.

"Not a damn clue." She says.

"Whatever it is," Dean butts in. "We're figuring it out."

"Dean-"

"Sorry Sammy, but we're not going to just leave this mystery unsolved. The scooby gang is back. We're going to unmask the fucker you branded me."

Sam's face falls. He runs a hand down his face and lets out a defeated sigh. "Then where do we even start?"

He looks to Dean, who shrugs, then shifts his eyes to Salem. She shrugs too, then looks toward Bobby.

Dean and Sam do the same.

"Why you idjets lookin at me?" He says, crossing his arms. When the siblings don't give up, his expression softens. He leans against the wall and lets out a similar sigh to how Sam had. "I don't know what you kids expect from me. It's not like I've got lore of that asshole just chilling in my back pocket."

"Do you think maybe you could look?" Salem asks softly. "Whatever ripped him out of hell was one powerful mother fricker- if we're gonna take this bitch on... we can't go into it blind."

"Yeah- I get that, kid. But maybe you fools could help." Bobby replied. His last part is more of a demand than a question.

A silence accompanied by tension fills the air. Bobby lets a sigh to wash away the quiet, but tension remains hanging above their heads. "But I do have this friend who might be able to help." He then says.

Dean smirks. "Great. What are we waiting for? Let's go for a trip." He pushes off the wall and claps his hand together, earning a look from both of his siblings.

———

"I just don't get it." Sam says, shaking his head as he gazes out the window. "You got out. Why risk being dragged back down."

Salem furrows her brows, moving to the middle of the back seat so that she can lean forward and be between her brothers. She rests her elbow on her knees sending a confused look toward Sam.

"You're not- in the slightest- concerned about the fact what pulled him out and left a mark on him is just... walking around?"

When Sam shrugs, Salem scoffs, rolling her eyes and leaning back defeatedly. "You're not even curious?"

"No." Sam says. He's growing impatient and his tone shows it.

Dean glances back toward Salem in the rear view mirror. She returns his gaze and sighs again, watching as Dean focuses his eyes in front of him once more.

"Why?" Salem asks.

"Because!" Sam says, loud. He says it before Salem's words even finish leaving her mouth. "Our fucking brother is back! Maybe I don't want to piss this guy off and have Dean dragged back to hell!"

Salems gaze falls. Yelling always made her anxious. She wasn't sure why. You think she'd be used to it by now considering her family, but every time someone raised their voice at her she'd cower.

"I don't know about you, but I actually tried to get Dean out." Sam hisses. He's watching out the window, following the scenery with his eyes.

Salem does the same, swallowing the lump in her throat. She makes a fist with her hands, letting out a deep and shaky breath to keep herself from raising her own voice.

She was always so much better at controlling her emotions than her siblings. That's what she was for. She acted strong so they didn't have to. She'd let them say whatever the hell they want and then she'd clean up the mess.

"I did too, Sam." She replies. Her voice is soft and quiet and she's speaking into the window so she's unsure if her words even reached her brother's ears. "And you'd know that if you didn't just leave. If you actually gave a shit."

"I'm not talking about deals, Salem." Sam responds.

"What?" Dean asks, confused. He shoots a quick and confused look to his brother, then places his eyes on the road.

"Never mind." Sam says, realizing he'd said too much.

Salem furrows her eyebrows. She puts her hands in fists and grits her teeth. She exhales a sigh.

"What the hell, man? Really?" She says.

Dean looks back at her through the mirror, but stays silent.

"You leave me to cope by myself the moment Dean was buried. And you don't think you should inform me as to why? Not to mention the fact we didn't even bury him correctly because you insisted that we didn't do a hunter's funeral."

"Well if we did burn his body, then he wouldn't be back, would he? He'd still be rotting in hell." Sam countered.

Salem rolls her eyes. "You're an asshole."

He doesn't say a word. His eyes remain out the window. Salem sighs, annoyed and begins to chew on the inside of her cheek. She fixes her gaze in the passing scenery and begins to fidget with the hem of her shirt.

Dean turns the impala into a parking lot and the three file out of the vehicle as soon as it's in park, trying to avoid any further conversation. Bobby parked his car beside them, then joined them at the door, knocking.

It sung open within seconds and they were greeted by a rather attractive woman wearing a bright smile.

"Well if it ain't Bobby Singer." The woman says enthusiastically. She lets them file in, and then when the door closes Bobby sends her a weak smile of his own.

"Pamala."