29| The Coward

Take Me To Church
The Coward (Chpt. 29)
———

Still in the warehouse, Cas pulls away from Salems grip. "But I must go." He says, his gravelly voice back to normal. He turns to leave, but she grabs him by the wrist.

He freezes, looking down at her hand, then looks up to meet her gaze. "Where are you going?" She asked.

"Away from here." He replies flatly. Despite the fact his voice is back to the usual sound, his tone has less emotion to it. It's colder. And his eyes don't shine like they used to.

"Why?" Salem asks. She ignores how desperate she sounds as she furrows her brows and meets the angels gaze. She glances at her brothers quickly, noticing that they're just as confused as her, then shifts her eyes back to Castiel.

"Because." He says, lifting his chin ever so slightly. "I have to." He turns on his heels, facing his back to Salem and preparing to leave.

"Wait-" she shouts, louder than expected. Her desperate voice echos through the empty warehouse.

The angel freezes in his tracks and tightens his jaw, making his annoyance clear. He slowly turns back around to face the woman, his silence the cue Salem should continue.

"You said you wanted to tell me something..." she says softly. She swallows the lump in her throat. "What was it?"

The angels drops his gaze and takes in a deep breath. He sighs through an exhale and swallows the lump in his throat. When he looks up and meets Salem's gaze, she doesn't recognize the man looking back at her.

"I learned a lesson while I was away." The angel says. "My loyalty and service belongs to Heaven, not you or your brothers." He quickly glances over to Sam and Dean before flicking his eyes back over to Salem. "I'm an angel... an angel of the lord... not your angel."

Then he's gone.

Salem sits in the back of the impala, leaning her head against the window as the scenery blurs by, trying not to think too much about what just happened. Silence fills the impala as Dean drives and Sam watches out the window too.

"Come on, let's hear it." Sam says. His head still rests against the glass, so his words are muffled, but they still make their way to Salem's ear.

"What are you talking about?" Dean asks, furrowing his brows. He sends a quick glance to his brother, then looks back at Salem through the mirror. His eyes land back on the road.

"You both saw it." Sam says, taking his head off of the glass. "Yell at me, swear, I don't care... just say what's on your mind."

"If you mean drinking blood like a wild animal- then yes we saw it." Dean says, tightening his grip on the wheel.

"I was possessed by an angel." Salem notes, perking her head up slightly. "But yeah I saw it too"

"I mean seriously- what the hell was that?" Dean asks.

"Dean-"

"I'm not mad, Sammy." Dean says.

"You're not?" He asks, not bothering to hide the surprised tone in his voice.

"No." Dean says. "I'm just disappointed.

"And you?" Sam asked, swinging his arm around the back of the seat and facing his sister.

"You're not getting anything from me, Sam." She says, shaking her head. "I've tried to talk to you- tried to check in on you and you shoved me away. Now you're asking for my opinion?"

Dean sighs. "We're just... done with it, Sam. All of it."

Coming up to the door of the panic room, Salem furrows her brows. "What's going on?"