15. Shivani

6 YEARS LATER

"And hence the accused has been found not guilty, you are free to leave the court without a stain on your character,
Thank you, jury for your services today, the court is adjourned."

"Oh finally" I let out a sigh of relief

"Ms. Shivani, thank you so much for your services, I could've been in jail for a crime I didn't commit if it weren't for you, thank  you so much"

"Oh my God Mr. Brown, you don't have
to thank me, I was just doing my job"
I say to my client.
'Perfectly'
I add after he leaves to be a little sassy but we know I cannot be.
I have been working on this case, for my whole life it feels like, it has just been an year, kid you not.

In the last six years I have Been working my ass off and now it's time for promotion.
This was longest case fought by my law firm like ever, we are fast, we don't stretch it.
It's really tiring to stretch a case after all, but this one was intricate and it has me on my toes all the effing time but it's finally over and now I can hope for a promotion, if not a promotion atleast an increment in the salary, i am not greedy, I earn alot but for a job like this you need motivation, don't you?

I was making my way out of the court room, as the best lawyer at my firm, duh and I dumped into someone.

"Oh my God, I am so sorry uncle, I didn't see you, I...... am so sorry..."
The paper work in his hand fell down due to  me bumping into him but as I was handing the papers back I saw something that was...that looked like... a silicon mask.

"Oh ...it's.. fine"
He took the papers out of my hand and rushed towards the restroom.
I thought it was weird, why was he wearing a mask and that too a silicone one in court.
More thoughts surrounded my mind.

There is one thing that comes with this job and stays is overthinking and over analyzing every. Single. Thing.
It has become a disease, i cannot overcome.

                                   ...
I went straight home, well you can't call it a home, there no family.
Speaking of family, my dad's calling

"Hi, papa, how are ya?"
I say with alot of excitement

"It's not papa, it's me"
He spoke

(Who do think it is, huh)

"Oh for God sake, pls call from your phone na, you own an I phone, pretty expensive that is."

"Oh really!!, if I would have called from my number, you wouldn't have picked up."

"Ok fine, Mr. Brother, sorry, now tell me what is it?"

"Oh nothing I was getting bored sitting in office, so I called."
That little shit.

"Bro, work!!
You are in papa's office, you nalayak aulad...."
As I was about to say another word he cut the call
That little.. no, big shit!
How dare he?!!

I keep my phone down, and went to the kitchen to make food, which I cannot make, I am very bad cook like I am not exaggerating.
I

burnt a hell lot of stuff in this kitchen and now am rethinking my decision,
I should just order some right?
Yea

Tomorrow I have a very big thing coming up, I don't know the details but someone has filled a case against a very big companies about some workplace exploitation.
So I have to prepare materials for that and well rest.
I am tired As hell

Something I have learned in the past six years Is "It's very easy to hold on to painful memories of life an be sad about it, but it's really hard to move on and build something nobody believed you could ever do"
And that is something I say to myself everytime I feel like I have failed.

...

"You know shivani, you are really pretty, I am shocked you don't have a boyfriend, cause the guys here are going crazy"
Ava spoke from across my desk
Ava is my para-legal, she just joined 6 moths ago buti told her to be casual with me because nobody knows how bad seniors can be, better than me.

"Well I haven't dated in quite a few years."

"Perfect, why don't you give it a try"
She exclaimed with so much excitement, it sacred me

"Give what... a... try"

"My brother,he has gone crazy for you since he last saw you drop me home and he begs me for your number everyday, can you ......just .....give him one date, he's dying"

"Umm....I'll see...if ....."
Before I could finish she ran towards me and gave me a tight hug
"Thank you thank you thank you thank you"

"Yes, but I need the details of that workplace exploitation case that came in, now"
I say in a commanding tone.

Ava handed me the files and oh my God, they were Huge, like it probably had 100 pages and there were 6 files.

I opened the first one and I couldn't believe what I saw, everything started coming back with the name "Rana group of industries"