33. Advit

"Did the guy who was assigned the work of the registry contact us again?

we need him to testify as a witness tomorrow no matter what, I don't want this case to go on for as long as these types of cases do."

I overheard her speak over the phone while I was sitting in my room staring at my laptop lost in thoughts.

A lot has been going on these days, with the marriage, the case, and MY FEELINGS.

The way she just......she was very considerate yesterday, made of think of the old Shivani. That Shivani was a ray of sunshine in everybody's life.

She knew how to lift one's mood.

I don't know shit about law and I don't intend to know, I just want to get over with this.

Whenever I am about to do something great or achieve something that will prove my father's words wrong, it doesn't go the way I plan it.

A problem just pops out of nowhere.

For once can something happen the way I want it to?

Perhaps he was right! All of this was a mistake, am good for nothing but then again, how is all of this my fault?

All these thoughts have been clogging my mind since yesterday.

My assistant has called the guy who was given the job to look over the registry of the land, we have talked to him and he will be coming to the hearing tomorrow to 'testify'.

I have no clue what is going to happen tomorrow, all I pray is for nothing to go wrong for both of us.

This case could make or break her career as well as mine.

..............

AT THE HEARING

"Are you sure that guy standing there with her handled our file in the registrar's office?

I ask for the 40th time, all I want is to be sure.

This is complicated as fuck.

Why does my life have more plot twists than race 2 or 3, which one is the more hated one?

Definitely the third part, it was so shitty.

MY LIFE IS SHITTIER

WHY DOES MY WIFE HAVE TO FIGHT AGAINST ME!

'AADI GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF, YOU ARE NO LONGER 17 OR 18, YOU ARE 25 YEARS OLD, ACT LIKE IT'

That was my inner conscience yelling at me.

"Never marry a cooperate lawyer when you own a company!"

these aren't my words, they are Shivaansh's words and I am starting to think he was right.

.............

The hearing was TERRIBLE.

'MR ADAMSON' said he didn't handle our file and he never received any kind of paperwork from our side but he did all of his work for my opponent.

I was in utter shock, luckily the guy I hired testified in my favor and as it happens we got another date.

I could see the stress on Shivani's face.

I take a seat beside her on the sofa.

"why are you so stressed?"

"Isn't it obvious!"

she says turning slightly towards me, resting her elbow on the backrest.

None of us said anything, we just looked into each other's eyes.

I shifted a little closer to say something, caressing her hair with my hand.

"what if I win the case?...and you....."

"and I lose."

She nodded her head.

"It's okay darling, you are doing your job and I am doing mine, you don't have to feel bad for me"

She shifts closer this time, resting her head on my shoulder as we are sitting facing each other.

My fingers lacing through hers, I could hear her heart beat faster than it normally did.

It would be a lie if I said my heart wasn't beating faster than hers because it was.

I subconsciously lay down while her head was still resting on my chest, hence following my movement she lay slightly on top of me.

I rest my palm on the top of her head pulling her closer while she snuggled in my arms.

"But if you lose, that land.... will ........you'll never be able to get it back"

"maybe but you'll get a promotion"

as soon as those words came out of my mouth she got up in anger.

"DO YOU REALLY THINK I CARE ABOUT THAT!"

I brushed my fingers slightly caressing her soft skin, allowing her to come back to the position we were laying down in.

"no, I don't but wouldn't it be great!"

My heart was heaving, those words barely escaped my mouth.

it was very hard for me to say that because of my father but for once knew if I didn't she would overthink it all night and feel bad about her job.

That was the last thing I would have wanted, after so much struggle.

I would never want her to feel bad about doing her job, for a fact here, I knew I was right.

one thing Bollywood and Indian melodrama have taught me is to believe that if I am right I'll win.

Dramatic!

Yeah, but that's how we Indians are, right?

"and we don't know if you will win, I have a pretty competitive and capable lawyer"

I got back a 'huff' as reply as she snuggled more burying her head in my chest.

That was the closest we had been in the last six years, I hate to say it but it felt great.

Felt like old times.

I felt like I was back in college and 18 again.

One thing that always hurts is how immature and immaculate my decisions and my behavior were.

I wish I could go back and fix things but what's the point now?

"Do want to eat something or go for a stroll?

It'll help you clear your mind."

She didn't reply......there was pin-drop silence in the apartment.

I too didn't ask again, mostly because it felt really good to have her in my embrace but also because both of us were completely exhausted, and laying on the couch seemed to be the best option.

after 15 mins of silence, I heard her say,

"Can we go out somewhere and watch fireworks?

The London sky is well-lit at night"

...........

I am struggling to keep my promise of writing regularly but forgive me. CUET is quite important.

Be patient guys, the story is moving slowly and that is what i want.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Happy reading

like and comment (comment kardia karo, acha lagta hai, nhi karoge toh nhi daaloongi chapter)