Thoughtful

As I came into work the next day, Nancy stopped me at the front desk.

"Are those cookies I smell?" She smiled.

I laughed "yeah I baked them for Mr. Saunders"

Her eyes widened "you made something for Ryan?"

I looked around uneasily "yeah why?"

"Oh, nothing it's just that no one ever gives Ryan anything. It's usually him gifting things to people, not the other way around" she shrugged. 

I smiled "well I guess I'm about to change that trend"

She laughed "you go do that. Have a good day Maddie"

"Thanks, you too" I smiled and went into the elevator.

As I came up to my floor, I set my purse down in my office and made my way down to Ryan's office.

I knocked on it twice and I heard him grunt "who is it?" In a really upsetting tone.

"It's Maddie" I managed to say in the sweetest of ways.

"Come in..." He said and paused to say something else but didn't

I walked in and smiled at him. He was wearing a pair of reading glasses and the sleeves of his white shirt were rolled up. He looked as good as my cookies.

I set down the plate of cookies on his desk "surprise" I smiled.

He looked shocked "you made these?" He asked.

I nodded proudly. "You're serious? You didn't go out and buy these?" he asked again. 

I shook my head and laughed "no, of course not. I made these."

"Thank you. Chocolate chip is my favorite" he said in a nicer tone as he picked one up and eyed it. 

I smiled as my eyes lit up "mine too! I hope you like them"

He didn't smile. Of course not. "I will. Thank you, Maddie"

"No problem...Mr.Saunders" I smiled at him and left his office.

At the end of the day, I was packing up my purse, getting ready to leave. I was slightly disappointed in the fact that Ryan didn't come into my office a single time all day, I guess he really is a busy man with better things to do. 

I turned around and Ryan was standing right at the foot of the door.

I gasped as I nearly ran into him "Jesus. you scared me" I laughed and took a step back. 

He folded his arms "it's Ryan, not Jesus. Would you like to get some dinner?" he asked, completely blindsiding me. 

I laughed at him "um sure. But please let me pay"

He rolled his eyes at me "1/9ths of the tab only" 

"what?" I laughed and threw my hands up. 

I shook my head as I walked out of my office. We were riding in the elevator in silence until I spoke up. The small elevator felt even smaller with him standing a mere few inches away from me. 

"How long were you standing there?" I asked.

He looked really deep in thought and it was as if i drew him out of somewhere when he answered me"Huh? Oh not long, you're very concentrated on the small stuff, like cleaning up pencil shavings" he pointed out and shook his head in disapproval. 

I nodded "they're gross, you scared the daylights out of me, by the way." I laughed.

I could see a smile playing on his lips...but it wasn't there yet.