Broken

As we were driving up a hill to get to my old childhood home for thanksgiving, everything started to fall into place.

We drove past a small building with a crooked sign and a broken basketball net in the front "I went to elementary school there" I said while pointing out the window.

Ryan slowed the car a little bit and looked out the window "looks dank" he said.

I laughed at his idiotic comment "it was VERY dank"

"I can't believe you're from here. No offense but this town looks creepy" he muttered.

I shrugged knowing he was right. There were no streetlights and the stores were a mile apart. The houses looked like sheds and the trees were overgrown and covered with snow. The town looked...sad.

"It looks sad" I said. He nodded "well I'm just glad I can get you back to a city where you belong after this"

I smiled and took his hand in mine "and I'm grateful for that"

He turned to me and smiled "happy thanksgiving, honey" he leaned over and pecked me quickly before returning to driving.

"That's my old high school" I pointed to a large brick building with a huge bell in front of it with a sign that said "Greenwood High. Enjoy Thanksgiving" but the 'g' in Thanksgiving was missing.

The school had a few broken windows and the grass in front of it was overgrown and half dead.

"Jesus Christ Mads, this place looks abandoned" he said while shaking his head.

"How many kids were in your graduating class?" He asked.

I shrugged "about 100" I said "high school was the worst experience of my life. I had freaking braces and crazy frizzy hair and wore suspenders with collared shirts every day"

Ryan started to laugh hysterically beside me "no way! You had braces?!" He asked.

I lightly smacked his arm "yeah I did and I could barely afford them! Everyone made fun of me but when I got them off I was the only one with decent looking teeth"

He shook his head while laughing and making a turn onto a street. "What's that guy doing out there on the street? It's 20 degrees outside" Ryan said while pointing a guy in a hoodie that was sitting on the sidewalk.

As I looked at him he looked up and made eye contact with me. His hair was blonde and greasy, he had scars and pimples all over his face and a gross looking goatee. The worst part was that I knew exactly who it was.

"Oh my god he was in my grade. His name is..." I snapped my fingers as I tried to remember his name "oh! Richard Convoy! He smoked weed every day by the bleachers for 4 years straight"

Ryan shook his head "looks like he's smoking more than weed now. He's on meth" I frowned at his comment. "How do you know that?" I asked.

He looked at me with sad eyes "take a look at him and tell me he's not a meth head"

As I took a glance at him as we drove by, all I could see in his eyes was regret and guilt. I couldn't help but feel bad for him. And at that moment, I felt so damn grateful for everything I had. A beautiful, loving boyfriend, a modeling career, a stable and happy life, and most importantly my health.

I frowned at the thought of Richard being alone in his battle with drug addiction but his poor choices had led him to that point.

Ryan put his hand on my cheek "baby, he'll be fine."

I shook my head "I hate coming back here. It sucks and I feel gross" I frowned.

Ryan parked the car next to an old fire hydrant and turned to me. He cupped my face with his hands and looked at me straight in the eyes "I can turn this car around right now and we can drive straight back to New York and spend thanksgiving on my couch. Would you like that?" He asked while looking hopeful.