No Matter What

Little did I know, that I'd be spending two weeks in the hospital beside my comatose boyfriend.

Little did I know that I would miss him more than anything else in the whole wide world, even though he was right beside me.

It was 8:30 in the morning on a bright warm May Day. It would be the type of day I would want to spend with him.

I looked at him, and all I saw was a practically lifeless body.

The nurses and doctors had already taken out his breathing tube because his lungs are stable now but he still hasn't woken up.

I walked into the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror.

My hair was knotted and gross but I pulled it up into a bun at the very top of my head. I was wearing jean shorts and a tank top with sandals.

I walked back into his room and sat down next to his bed again.

After about 5 minutes, he started to move his fingers. I stood up and stared at him. His eyes slowly started to open.

I clamped a hand over my mouth as he started to wake up. His eyes fully opened and I could finally see his beautiful blue eyes look at me.

"Ryan? Are you okay?" I asked him.

He blinked and moved his hand. "You were in an accident, you've been in a coma for two weeks." I said, managing not to cry.

He slightly shook his head. I nodded "you almost died, oh my god I can't believe you're awake" I cried. I let my tears run down my face as he took my hand in his gently.

"You do know who I am right?" I asked him.

He nodded slowly. I was confused as to why he wasn't talking. "I should get a nurse. I'll be right back" I said.

I let go of his hand and ran out into the hallway to get a nurse.

An Asian nurse walked in and smiled at us "glad to see you're awake Mr. Saunders"

She helped him sit up in bed and checked his eyes and throat. "Okay well you seem to be fine, your blood pressure is stable and you look great. We'll change your bandages on your head and remove your catheter"

"Would you like to leave the room while I remove his catheter?" She asked me

"I'll give you guys some privacy" I said and Ryan grabbed my hand. He looked at me with pleading eyes.

I laughed uncomfortably and stood next to him "I guess it's nothing I haven't seen before"

The nurse laughing and began to remove his bandages on his head. He had a huge cut that seemed to have been healing very well. The stitches looked good and she put a new bandage on.

When she removed the catheter, Ryan looked a little uncomfortable and squeezed my hand. I rubbed his back in reassurance.

When the nurse was about to leave I ran after her.

I closed the door to his room and talked to her outside.

"Is there a reason he's not talking?" I asked.

She smiled and nodded "the tubing might have scratched up his throat. It's painful to speak a lot of the time. His throat should be better In a few days. I'm going to get his papers together, we'll discharge him tomorrow morning" she smiled.

"Will he be okay?" I asked.

"Yes of course. We'll prescribe some medications for his head aches and his throat. His broken foot should be healing well. No work though. He should only be using crutches to walk and strict rest. Keep him on liquids for a day or two and then switch over to softer foods"