Miracle

I woke up in the middle of the night to a cold empty bed.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes as I realized that Ryan wasn't in bed with me. I didn't even bother putting on a shirt as I walked out into the hall to try and find him.

"Ryan?" I whispered as I walked into the nursery.

"Babe what are you doing here?" I asked.

He was sitting in one of the rocking chairs just staring out the window with a pacifier in his hands.

"Go back to sleep, I'll be there in a minute" he said dismissively.

"No, tell me why you're in here at 4 in the morning by yourself in the dark"

"I couldn't sleep. I just keep having this dream that she's not going to come out right"

My entire body froze at his words "what do you mean by not right?"

"I don't know, like something will be wrong. What if she has two heads and a tail? I'm freaking out because you're due in two weeks and I feel like there's nothing I'll be able to do and I'll be a shitty father"

"How dare you even say that?"  I crossed my arms in front of him.

I pointed to my stomach "WE made this. Not just me and not just you. It was you AND me. You're not going to be a lousy father because now you have TWO girls counting on you and you've never let me down. The father of my child is not going to sit around like some loser thinking that he can't take care of his own baby. You're a man, and men are capable of taking care of their own kids. I never once had doubts, please. We wanted this right?"

He nodded and bit his lip. "Exactly. You'll be a great father and no matter what, I'll be here for you through the mistakes I know you and I will make. Now please can we go to bed? My feet hurt"

He stood up and picked me up in his arms "I can walk" I laughed.

He kissed my cheek and smiled "as if I'm going to let you"

"Can you shave my legs?" I asked as we sat on the floor of our living room eating lunch.

He looked at me with a mouth full of food "why?" He said through chewing.

I frowned "because I'm due soon and I don't want to have hairy legs and I can barely bend down. Please"

He rolled his eyes and picked up our plates "fine" 

I smiled as he helped me get up from the floor. "Only you would worry about hairy legs during labor" he sighed as we walked up the stairs.

"You love me though"

"It's a good thing I love you. What shaving cream am I using? The strawberry or vanilla one?" He asked when I sat down at the edge of the tub.

I shrugged "you pick"

He smelled both and set down the strawberry one "vanilla it is"

He began to lather my legs as I leaned my back against the wall. "Thank you for doing this" I smiled.

He laughed as he started to shave my legs "don't tell anyone about this. Dan would laugh forever"

I smiled "don't worry, your secret is safe with me. You're really good at shaving"

He smiled "thanks, I'm a man of many talents"