There's Always a First

I went into work with my head held high and a smile on my face. I noticed that Nancy wasn't at the front desk anymore, instead there was a freakishly tall red-head with a short sleek bob and a black and white suit.

"Good morning" she greeted me with a small smile.

"Good morning. I don't mean to sound rude or anything but where's Nancy?" I asked while keeping a smile on my face.

"Oh I'm sorry, she doesn't work here anymore. Mr. Saunders let her go yesterday afternoon. I'm Melissa Robinson, I'm filling in for Ms. Saunders"

I smiled "I see, well it was nice meeting you. I'm Madeline but you can call me Maddie"

She smiled at me "okay then. Have a good day. It was nice meeting you as well"

I went up the elevator to my office and I couldn't suppress my curiosity when it came to Nancy. I thought they were good siblings. Why would he fire her?

I walked into my office and I looked at myself in the mirror from the corner of my eye. I didn't like what I saw. White added 20 pounds.

I looked outrageously fat in this dress. I need to get more black dresses, They're slimming.

I sat down to do my work when Ryan walked in nonchalantly. "Good morning" he muttered.

"Good morning!" I noticed that he wasn't wearing ALL black and gray. He was wearing a BLUE tie.

"Wow you're wearing a blue tie" I said while smiling.

"Ah yeah, I thought I should change it up a bit once in a while"

I laughed "well good! Gray is so depressing, and blue looks great with your eyes" I smiled.

He gave me a forced smile and crossed his legs. "I have reservations for dinner at this restaurant not too far away from where I live. Is that okay?" He asked.

"Of course! I'm so flattered that you keep taking me out" I said.

"I'm glad"

"Really?!" I asked, surprised by his comment.

"Yes, really." he said matter-of-factly. 

"Wow. I'm honored. Thank you!" I stood up to give him a hug but then quickly sat down as I remembered that this was a professional work environment.

"You're welcome. I should be finished with my work around 6"

I smiled "alrighty then, have fun with your work, see you later" I gave him a sweet smile.

He smiled back at me and stood there with a smile on his face. He closed the door and gave me a swift wave right before he did.

Why is this guy so incredibly socially awkward?

When we went out later that day I couldn't help but revel in this cute little restaurant.

"This place is adorable" I smiled at him as I looked over the menu. 

He nodded "My mom used to make the best ziti, but i guess this will have to suffice" he shrugged and smiled. 

I laughed "You like Italian food? I can make a mean lasagna" 

"Sure do, I might take you up on that offer" he smiled. "I have a kitchen that needs to be used" he smiled again. 

"You would let me use your kitchen?" I asked softly. 

He looked up at me and then away and back at me "yeah, yeah I would"

"You are a sweetie pie" I smiled.