Epilogue

The epilogue: Olivia's point of view.

12 years later...

I ran down the stairs to the kitchen and knew that I'd be greeted with an empty dining room table.

I ran into my dad's office to see him sleeping with his head in his hands. He was wearing a suit with a loose tie. There were pictures of my mom strewn all over his desk.

He's been thinking again.

That's what my grandparents and I say when my dad closes himself off a week before my mother's death anniversary, a week before her birthday, and a week before their marriage anniversary.

It's as if she had never died in his mind. And when he realizes that she did, in fact, die, he blames himself.

I love my dad, he doesn't know it but I love him more than anything and it kills me to see him in this state. My dad was my best friend, my biggest supporter, and my role model. He was all of those things when he wasn't depressed and crying himself to sleep.

"Dad" I whispered as I lightly shook his shoulders.

He raised his head and met my eyes with his bloodshot eyes. He looked utterly exhausted and defeated.

"Good morning. Do you want me to make you some breakfast?" I asked him.

He stood up and shook his head "no, thank you honey. Don't you have a piano concert today?" He asked as he tried to clean up the mess on his desk.

"I do, I was hoping you could come, I know you have a meeting at that time and I understand If you can't make it, but I've been working really hard on this piece" I smiled.

He looked at me with sad eyes and nodded "I'll see what I can do honey. Is there anything you need before school?" He asked.

I looked at his wrinkled suit,  graying and disheveled hair, tired eyes, and knew that he was the one who needed a whole lot.

"No, thanks, dad. I love you" I smiled.

He smiled slightly and hugged me "I love you too, so much" I knew he was sincere because he never smiles or hugs anyone.

"I'll head off to school, have a good day daddy" I smiled.

He nodded and patted my back lightly "thank you honey, you too"

As I stepped out onto the stage, I felt the bright lights hit my face and the faces of the hundreds of people in the crowd were blurred out.

I sat down at the piano and closed my eyes, I think about my mom when I play, she supported me and loved me. She is the reason I keep going.

When I opened my eyes, the only face I looked for and cared for was the face of my dad's. I saw him in the crowd with a brand new suit on, brushed hair, and a smile on his face.

I smiled and breathed for the first time in what felt like forever. He was here, he supports me.

I began playing to the tune of my new piece, "undying passion"

The crowd fell silent and I felt right at home with the two people who I loved most watching me, from two different places.