Chapter 17

I don't hate you.
Hatred is heavier than love and I prefer to be light. My heart is already full.

•••••

Malik looked at Sarah confused. Who was that! Was he her boyfriend whom she was sad about leaving! Million of assumption came in his head and he wanted to know their answers.

"He was my fiancé" Sarah said lowly answering a question from his long listed question.

"Oh" he didn't know what he should say but somehow he felt a little relieved. Why? He didn't know.

"Lunch break is about to end and we still don't get anything to eat or drink" she cut the tension and walked towards a café near the company.

"Wait up" Malik said when he found her already half way to their destination.

"Not my fault you're as fast as a snail" she called out from her place and he jogged to her.

"So you'll order and leave me sit here, like a gentleman, or I'll have to order myself?" She raised her brows , he narrowed his eyes.

"You want to make me guilty then?"

"Me?" She pointed to herself faking a shocked expression. He shook his head and left muttering under his breath "women" making her smile in victory. He was like a young boy when it comes to bickering as if used to these situations. She wondered if he truly was used to them. Was he in a relationship so he was used to spoiled women?

Ten minutes after, he came with their drinks and sandwiches in a plastic tray. "Here you go." She was about to take her sandwich when he shook his head taking it far from her "where is my thank you and you are wonderful Malik?" he asked.

"Thank you but I don't lie ,you know, it's bad sin" she teased and took her sandwich.

"You're cruel" he faked a sad face and she laughed.

"So?" He said and she knew he wanted an explanation about what happened earlier. She sighed.

"Jacob was my fiancé a week and half ago"

"Was?"

"Yeah I broke it off when I knew he loved someone else. You know, it's humiliating to know that your partner loves someone ever since even after your engagement" she shrugged as if it was nothing but he saw the hurt and pain in her eyes.

"But you still love him, right?" He took a bit from his sandwich as if asking about a movie not her feelings. He didn't know why he wanted her to say 'no I don't' but there was this part in him which wanted to hear that answer.

"I'll get over him." she smiled.

"I'm here now and you know how awesome I am so you'll forget about him in no time" he winked playfully and they laughed. There was something in her telling her it wasn't entirely a joke but she just shrugged that thought at the back of her mind for the time being and enjoyed her lunch with Malik.

"Oh! I'm flattered"

•••••

Sitting on her bed , Sarah recalled her conversation with Malik. Malik was a person who just popped in her life out of nowhere , she always thought that people who come in our life are for a reason like a compensation. Malik came in her life just few days after her breakup, when they were together she didn't think for a second about Jacob, she cried one time on him and it was the night before meeting Malik. If she made a comparison, Malik would win in a heart beat.

If it was about handsomeness, he was more handsome than Jacob.

If it was about personality, he treated her better than Jacob did all their relation.

If it was about sense of humour, she never stopped laughing and messing around when she was with him.

In general, Malik was everything Jacob wasn't, he was the man she wanted in Jacob but couldn't find. Thinking hard but still she couldn't remember the things she liked in Jacob, he was just infatuation, she never truly loved him. Malik was younger, funnier, more caring, more handsome and comfortable to be around.

With those new discoveries she buried her head in her pillows wishing it wasn't true, she wasn't ready yet to take a liking on anyone.

•••••

Jacob was thinking about what happened with Sarah that morning, he wasn't surprised when he didn't feel angry about that man who was with her he just didn't like him intruding in their conversion and pushing him backwards. It wasn't hurting or angering him to know that she had another person in her life after there breakup not like it was when he saw Leila with Ryan in that party even when it was after almost a decade after their breakup. He never lied to himself saying he loved Sarah , she was just a person in his life who cared for him. To him , he thought it was enough to build a successful life but was he wrong. He thanked God for that separation he would've done Sarah wrong with their marriage, he would have taken her dreams about love and marriage. He just wished she didn't hate him but he didn't know that for Sarah to hate anyone was impossible, she has a pure heart and hatred was heavy for her heart to carry, she just didn't feel anything to him anymore.

•••••

"Malik" Maryam, his sister, called for him after she greeted her parents with her husband, but he didn't answer so she kept calling for him more like yelling but still he didn't acknowledge her presence even after she barged into his room.

"Earth to Malik" she shouted in his ears and he jerked his head towards her pumping his head into hers with the sudden move.

"What the hell, Maryam, you nearly got me a cardiac attack woman" he said angrily.

"Calm down Malik" she frowned , Malik never in his life got angry especially at her. When he saw her frown he cursed under his breath.

"Sorry Maryam , you surprised me"

"Stop cursing young man" she teased smiling again and he sighed in relief.

"What are you mom!" He retorted and remembered his conversion with Sarah when she said the same thing , smiling.

"Woah! What's with the grin little bro?" Maryam again teased him smelling something fishy with that smile.

"Oh nothing. I missed you" she was sure her big brother was avoiding the question.

"I know you better than that, Maloki" he frowned.

"Stop that girly nickname" she just looked at him.

"What's up little one?" He sighed she knew him better than he could deny.

"Don-"

"Malik!" He huffed.

"There is that girl--" he didn't even continued when Maryam sat on the bed crisscross, looking at him eagerly making a girly whistle.

God it would be a long night. He sighed internally.

 He sighed internally