The New

👑
William's P.O.V

I sat silently enjoying the lingering burn of the rich brown liquid as it glided down my throat allowing my tense muscles to relax allowing me to enjoy a deep sense of contentment in that precise moment. My eyelids gently covered my tired eyes painting my world black as I cherished the peace I'd managed to create in the moment.

"It's pretty early for a drink don't you think?" My father's gruff voice quarried causing my eyes to snap open falling on his frail frame which now stood directly in front of me.

"No I don't. The bottle doesn't indicate a specific time it should be consumed father." I bit back quickly dropping my eyes to the polished marble floors instead of his dull green orbs which gazed into mine.

"Look at me William." He whispered causing me to groan internally.

"I'm in no mood to have one of your talks Sergio you've made it quite clear that you aren't going to tell me about my parents which leaves us with nothing to talk about. It just leaves  your illegitimate son to run a country nobody thinks he has the right to run anymore! I have enough on my plate as it is I don't need you adding anything else there's only so much a man could take." I growled frustratedly knocking paperwork off my desk my mind clouding over once more with its usual worry.

"I understand son." He cooed successfully pissing me off something I would admit wasn't very hard to do lately.

For at least twenty  hours of the day I feel as though I'm drowning in the colorless gas I needed to stay alive. I spent every waking minute of my day haunted by my anxiety. It didn't help that I was not short of things I needed to be worried about like the fact that I had no idea who my biological parents were. The murmurs about the illegitimate man who now sat on the throne. The fact that my adoptive "mother" and a man who constantly professes his love to the woman I once called my wife were behind the attempt to assassinate me. I felt completely powerless and insignificant constantly and knew that there was no way out of the mess my life had become.

"Don't call me that! Do you even realize the magnitude of this situation? I have a meeting with the council next week about my position and I'm pretty sure they're going to suggest that I step down. I've lost everything and I honestly could care less about any of this all I want to know is where I came from. Who am I? Because I'm pretty lost yet you choose to be selfish and not tell me what I have a right to know." I said finally looking up at him flinching when I saw how pale his once tanned skin now was.

"You have always fought for what you wanted William and I've always been proud of you for that." He said smiling softy before taking a seat in one of the chairs in front of my desk. "You're mother's name was Anna your father's name was Prince Sergio Nardovino at the time. You're mother was my world. My soulmate and I let her go because I was a coward and I've regretted my decision every second since I've made it. The lies that I made your life all for power and status which are both things which lack the ability of  keeping you happy. You clearly got your strong will from your mother and that's what makes you such a good King. I know that and so does your country the council only wants to talk to you because you opened your big mouth and said you were an orphan. Exposing unreliable information you got from your crazy power hungry step mother to a crowd of reporters." He grumbled playfully glaring at me. His words caused me to relax for the first time in weeks  somewhat. I knew that my problems were far from over and though I wasn't sure why I was being this trusting when my father had done nothing but lie to me I found myself accepting his words allowing it to hush the barrage of thoughts that swirled in my mind.