38

( TRANSFORMATION SYNDROME )

BESS' HOUSE
[ ☼ ]

        Garth and the werewolf sit on the couch as he tends to her arm. "It's okay, baby. Hold it like that." Garth says.

       "What are they doing here, Garth?" The Woman asks.

       "They're friends. I promise."

       "They're hunters." She says.

        "All right. We've all gotten off on the wrong foot here. So let's do things right." Garth says. "Elena...Boys...this is Bess...my beloved. And, Bess, that's Dean. Now, he could start a fight in an empty house, but deep down inside, he's just a big ol' Teddy bear." Dean looks annoyed and Sam chuckles. "And Sam here—Sam can be a bit insecure at times..." Sam glares. "...but for good reason. Bless his heart. And Elena? She's about the toughest woman I've ever met, probably because I haven't really gotten to know many before."

        "That's sweet. Werewolf?" Dean asks.

       "All right, guys, look—about six months ago, I was outside Portland, Maine, hunting this big bad wolf. I took him down, but... He bit me in the process."

        "And you didn't call one of us?" Elena asks.

        "And tell you what? That I messed up? No, I-I knew the deal. There's no cure, so I accepted my fate." Garth says. "Ate my favorite dish of egg fu Yung, watched the world's greatest movie, 'Rocky III' and then... was ready to eat a bullet, when Bess here found me."

        "And how'd she do that?" Sam asks.

        "Smelled him. How else?" Bess asks.

        "Yeah. She talked the gun out of my mouth, and, as they say, the rest is history." Garth says. "We've been married for four months now."

       "You're married?" Elena asks.

       "To a werewolf." Dean says.

        "Yes. And my pack has taken him in as one of our own." Bess says.

         "Guys, it's not what you think. We don't hurt people."

        "No, you just go all Wolverine on cattle." Says Dean.

        "Yeah."

        "At least he's not eating human hearts." Bess says. "Do you have any idea how hard it is for a bitten to control his instincts, like Garth does? How well he's doing?"

        "Thank you, baby." Garth says.

        "Well, it's the truth, honey bunny."

        "Wait. A—a 'bitten'? You're all bitten." Sam says.

        "Not at all. You're either born to it, like I was, or you're bitten, like Garth." Bess says.

        "Hold on. You said you were—you were born a werewolf?" Elena asks.

        "Second generation." She says.

        "Garth, can we talk to you for a sec? Alone?"

        "Honey, why don't you go find some ointment for that arm? Okay?" Garth asks as Bess nods and leaves the room.

       "What the hell?" Dean asks.

        "Look, I know you guys want to shoot first and ask questions later, but I checked everything out." Garth says. "This pack is clean. Everything's Kosher."