56

( METAFICTION )

OFFICE
[ TIME UNKNOWN ]

        The scene opens with record-needle static and hands typing on a typewriter 'Fanfare-Rondeau' by Jean-Joseph Mouret plays in the background. The camera pulls back and we see it is Metatron sitting at the typewriter. He looks straight into the camera.

        "What makes a story work? Is it the plot, the characters, the text? The subtext? And who gives a story meaning? Is the writer? Or you?" He asks. "Tonight, I thought I would tell you a little story and let you decide."

SHOWER[ ☼ ]

SHOWER
[ ☼ ]

        The scene opens with water turning on in the Men of Letters shower. Dean stands there under the spray and slowly drags his hands through his hair and over his eyes as the water pours over him.

        He then stands in front of the mirror and wipes away the steam. He looks into his own eyes for a second and sighs. His eyes then wander to his right arm and he rubs the Mark of Cain with his left hand.

        Later, Sam is talking on the phone while pouring over many files in the library. "Yeah. All right. Thanks, Carlos. Listen, you, uh, if you catch wind of any other demon activity, give me a holler, all right? Appreciate it." Sam sees Dean enter. "Hey."

       "Anything?" Dean asks.

       "Yeah. A dozen demon-related cases, people without souls acting out, but..." Sam starts.

       "But no sign of Abaddon."

       "Right. Looks like she's vanished."

       "Well, we just got to keep digging." Dean says.

       "Right." Sam notices Dean rubbing absentmindedly at the Mark of Cain on his arm. "You okay?"

       "Yeah. I'm fine. Let's get to work." Dean says.