63

( I HATE YOU )

CAROLINE'S BEDROOM
[ ☼ ]

        Caroline is seen wearing gloves and boots, scrubbing down her entire bedroom. There's a knock at the door. "Who is it?" She asks.

      "It's Elena."

       "Come in." Caroline says as Elena steps in and almost slips on the wet floor. She carries a bowl of cereal.

       "What on earth are you doing?" Elena asks.

       "Cleaning. Obviously." Caroline stops scrubbing and looks at Elena. "Not really that hungry." She says.

       "Okay, spill." Elena says.

       "What?"

        Elena puts down the bowl of cereal. "You only clean when something juicy or scary happened to you. So which one is it?" She asks.

        Caroline gets up and steps closer to her best friend. "It's about Sam." She says.

       "Okay..."

       "He was there, and obviously he wanted to kiss me and I was like 'oh! We'll just...make out'." Caroline says. "But then...it felt really good to kiss him so I kind of totally had sex with him."

       Elena looks surprised. "Wow." She says.

       "You're not gonna ask me how was it?" Caroline asks.

       "Why would I?" Elena asks. "I slept with him first, remember?"

 "I slept with him first, remember?"

       "Oh, yeah."

       "It depends on if you liked it." Elena says. "Do you like Sam, Caroline?"

       "Maybe." Caroline says and Elena gives her a look. "I don't know, okay! Lately he's been a really good friend to me after everything that's happening to my mom. Maybe I'm confusing it for something more."

       "Well you need to figure it out...and fast. Because he was looking for you." Elena says as she opens the door to leave. Sam is standing there looking all awkward. "She's all yours." Elena whispers to him.

      "Hey." Sam says.

       "Hey. So about last night..."

       "I know, it was a mistake." Sam says.

       "That's not what I was going to say." Caroline says. "I was going to say that it wasn't that bad. That I possibly liked it."

        Sam looks surprised. "Really? Because I meant what I said. It was a mistake and I don't think it should happen again. I don't want to ruin our friend ship." He says.

        "We never really had a friendship to begin with." Caroline says. "And here I actually thought you liked me. You know what, let's just not talk about this again, agreed?"

       "Agreed." Sam says and leaves as Caroline begins cleaning again with tears in her eyes.

HOSPITAL
[ ☼ ]

         "You know, Caroline said that you were a good friend. Now I see why."

        "I just wanted to help, you know." Sam says. He was currently at a hospital in Kansas. He was visiting Caroline's mom for the fourth time that month. Caroline had no idea.

        "You care about her." Mrs Forbes says.

       "She's a great friend." Sam says.

        Mrs Forbes smiles. "You know what I mean." She says and Sam laughs nervously. "You care about her otherwise you wouldn't be here."

       "I just don't think I'm ready for anything serious right now." Sam says. "My past relationships didn't exactly end well."

       "I see you're a great guy, Sam. You've been visiting me in secret since I got here. So that means you care about her too."

       "Yeah." Sam says softly.

        "What are you doing here?"

        Sam turns around to see Caroline at the door. "I'm visiting your mother." He says.

       "She doesn't need to see anyone besides me." Caroline says and walks over to her mother's bed. "How are you?"

        "I'm fine Caroline. Sam is good company." Mrs Forbes says. "You mind getting me some coffee?"

       "Are you sure you're supposed to be drinking caffeine? Doesn't that do something?" Caroline asks.

       "No, sweetheart."

       Caroline leaves as Sam goes to follow. "I know you're trying to ignore me, Caroline." Sam says.

       "Trying and accomplishing are two different things." Caroline says.

       "Why?"

       "Why was I listening?" Caroline asks.

      "Why do you have a thing for me?" Sam asks.

      "I don't." Caroline says.

       "Ok. Um..." Sam starts. "Why did you have a thing for me?"

       "We said that we would never talk about this again, so just..." Caroline starts.

        Sam grabs her arm. "Look, Caroline, please just talk to me. Tell me how, tell me why." He says. "Please just make me understand how it is that I missed it."

        "What kind of a stupid question is that? Why did I have a thing for you?" Caroline asks. "I don't know, Sam. Maybe it's because I thought you were worth having a thing for, because when I found out about my mother you told me that I would get through it and I am, because you were practically my best friend, because I trusted you."

        "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not seeing it, I'm sorry for not..." Sam starts.

       "Feeling it back?"

        "No. I didn't say that. I... I... Look. I don't know what I felt." Sam says. "You know, my head was all over the place, but I am incredibly sorry for the way that I treated you."

        "Yeah. Well... I know what you felt, Sam, because even if just a little tiny piece of you felt for me what I was starting to feel for you, you wouldn't have walked away, and I don't hate you for that." Caroline says. "I don't hate you for worrying about your brother, I don't hate you for being the biggest jerk on the planet while doing so, and I accept your apology."

       "But you do still hate me." Sam says.

        "Yes. Yeah, I hate you because if I don't hate you for ruining our friendship, then I have to hate myself for ruining it, and I think that I deserve better than that." Caroline says and walks away.