Lingering Memory

"I'll never leave you alone, I promise!"

A small sigh left Yuuichi's lips as he stepped into his brother's room. He moved around the scattering books that Ryuuichi was rearranging on the shelves the previous night and sat on his bed. "Ryuu, wake up" He patted his brother's cheeks. Ryuuichi's eyebrows tugged into a frown as he patted again. Ryuuichi released a groan and shifted away from the rather cold hands, pulling his duvet up to cover his face and buried himself further into the bed.

Yuuichi raised an eyebrow. His brother usually doesn't act like this, especially during school period. Either Ryuuichi stayed up late or he couldn't sleep, but that was like a ten percent thing. He had seen too many times when his brother woke up a little later than usual, by jumping out of bed in split second and into the toilet in another. "Ryuu, if you don't wake up soon, we'll be late." Another louder groan was heard as he waited for a minute before Ryuuichi promptly threw the duvet off his face and sat up. His raised eyebrow arched higher when his brother rubbed the bridge of his nose with an annoyed sigh.

"Bad dreams?"

Ryuuichi shook his head. "No. Rather," He covered his mouth as he yawned. "A memory."

--------------------------------------------------------

Ryuuichi yawned into his scarf for the nth time. He blinked away the tears and rubbed his eyes as he walked along side with Yuuichi. He was feeling strangely tired and stiff ever since he woke up. He wondered if it was how he slept the previous night or that it was because he was being hypersensitive since he had being frequently summoning his flames out to show Yuuichi. Something told him that that wasn't the case, though. He shifted his back pack before stuffing his hands into his coat's pocket. He looked up at the gloomy sky.

'It's getting colder and colder, don't you think?" He breathed out, a small mist formed. His brother nodded. "Yeah. They say it would be a White Christmas this year." Ryuuichi grunted, shrugging at that. "They said that almost every year, but it only came true less than five times"

"Though, it would be great if it does snow on Christmas this year." He agreed since he himself wanted it to snow on Christmas after all these time. He felt that it would be very satisfying.

Yuuichi turned to him, lips tugged down. "Are you really going to quit Archery and Chess?" He wasn't really happy with that. He knew that Ryuuichi enjoys the activities and practices despite not going frequently so when he told him of his plan, Yuuichi wasn't amused. He tried to persuade his brother to enjoy it until they graduate from Middle School, but Ryuuichi merely smiled and said he wanted more time to spend with him.

(He didn't need Ryuuichi to verbally tell him that he quit because of the mafia business. He didn't, but he wished that he would get a concrite confirmation.)

Ryuuichi smiled wryly and took out a hand from his pocket and grabbed Yuuichi's, interlacing their fingers together. He rubbed the back of his palm with his thumb, a weak attempt to warm Yuuichi's hand up. "We already went through that, brother dearest. I quit partly because of the mafia, not for their sake though, but I really wanted more times in hand. That, and I couldn't stand the guilt in me for skipping club activities even though the teachers and other members didn't mind."

Ever since he revealed the truth a month ago, he had being more open to everyone. The others, on the other hand, invited (read, dragged) him out more often than usual either to hang out or train or any other shenanigans Reborn had planned. He would, too, pull Yuuichi along with him whenever his brother is free. There were a few time he had to decline because of club activities, which annoyed since he missed out the hilarious things that happened.

He laughed when Yuuichi gave him a stink eye. "Did you just read my mind?" "No, no. You're just too obvious" He swung their hands lightly along with their steps.