Chapter 1

"I hate you. I truly hate you." I repeat for the third time.

"No, you don't." Riley hugs me once the backstage crew step away.

"Yes, I do."

"Then you shouldn't have wrote in my birthday card that you would do anything I wanted." Riley pointed out letting me go. My mom nods her head agreeing with him.

"I didn't know you would make me do this!" I yell earning a few odd looks from other people waiting to audition.

"I just wish you wore something better. No offense." My mom says to me.

"What's wrong with my outfit? I'm just going to embarrass myself. No need to get all fancy." I defend my outfit.

I'm only wearing a pair of skinny jeans, a grey oversized sweater, and my red high top Chuck Taylor's.

"You won't embarrass yourself. I bet you twenty bucks everyone will stand up and clap when you're done." Riley bets me.

"Deal!" I shake hands with him. That's twenty bucks in my pocket.

Riley begins slapping my arm repeatedly. "Look who is coming over here!"

I slap his hand away and look up. Brian Friedman is walking our way with a group of people holding a camera and a microphone. Great. He stops in front of me and sits down on my left side.

"Can you skip me?" I ask before the camera man turns on the giant camera.

Brian cracks a smile. "Why?"

"I don't want to be he-"

"She's nervous." Riley interrupts me sending me a glare.

Brian stands back up smiling. "Sure. Don't worry. I bet you'll do great."

Hah. If only you knew I'm a terrible singer.

I watch as they walk off. "I hate you."

"Number one five seven two six." Someone calls over the intercom.

"Dang it." I mumble under my breath. Why did they have to call my number? I'm not ready to go on stage.

Riley grins broadly grabbing my hand. "Come on. It's your turn."

"You'll do fine, sweetheart." Mom attempts to comfort me.

An older lady in her thirties steps up to me. "Carter Shay?" She asks holding a clipboard in her hands.

"Unfortunately." I answer.

She looks up slightly confused. "Follow me." She spins on her heel. Well, isn't she nice.

Riley, my mom, and I follow the lady backstage. Workers are running around all over the place trying to get their job done.

"So, we meet again." Brian smiles at me. I nod my head suddenly becoming really nervous. "Okay. When I tell you too, you will walk out the the middle of the stage on the red 'x'. Then just go with it. Song?" Riley hands him my cd that he brought. "Great. Good luck out there."

I look out on the stage where I am about to walk out. "I can't do this." I spin to look at Riley and my mom.

"Yes, you can. You're an amazing singer. You'll do great." My mom hugs me.

"Ready?" Brian asks me.

"Don't really have a choice, do I?" I say.

"Nope." Riley answers for me. "Go!" He pushes me.

I stumble forward on the stage where everyone can see me. Oh my! That's a lot of people. I glance behind me. I begin walking to the 'x' like I was told. I stop in front of the microphone.