Chapter 24

It's cold today. There is a light breeze blowing outside, causing leaves to float in the air. The sun is shining brightly down on Cheryl's house. The house is quiet. Almost too quiet. Last night we all sang in front of Cheryl and Will.I.Am. I thought yesterday was nerve-racking, today is even worse.

I didn't sleep at all last night. I was tossing and turning in my sheets all night. Around three in the morning, I realized I wasn't going to fall asleep. I ended up getting on my laptop and checking my Twitter. I have a couple thousand followers now. That's a big change from my old one hundred followers.

I glance over at the clock on the table next to my bed. Ten in the morning. I should probably get up and get dressed. Today we find out the three that are going through. The rest will be going back home. Off the show completely. I have this terrible feeling that I will be going home.

I crawl out of my bed and trudge to the bathroom. I shut the door behind me quietly, so I don't wake up Cher. I walk past the mirror and stop when I see my reflection. My dark brown hair is in a tangled mess. My eyes are red and puffy from me crying so much last night. I shake my head at my reflection. I look like a mess. Good thing there are no cameras around.

I turn on the hot water in the shower. I should have grabbed some clothes before I came in here. Oh well. I take a quick shower because I want to be able to eat some breakfast before the camera crew shows up. My shower only lasts about seven minutes which is a new record for me.

I make sure my towel is wrapped tightly around my body, before stepping out of the bathroom. Cher is still curled up on her bed under all of the covers. I really hope she is feeling better today. She really thinks she screwed up her chance of going through. I think everyone in the house feels like we are going home.

I pull on a pair of bright blue skinny jeans and match them with a grey v-neck shirt. I tuck the shirt in my jeans. I clip my black and white striped suspenders to my jeans. I narrow my eyes at my outfit in the mirror. I need shoes. I go through my shoes that I brought with me. There is no way I am wearing heels. I am way too clumsy for those things. I decide on wearing my black high top converse. I check out myself in the mirror. This is as good as it gets.

I sneak out of our bedroom without waking Cher and head down the hallway to the stairs. All the doors are closed shut. They are either sleeping still or already downstairs. I jog down the stairs and to the kitchen. Rebecca and Kate are at the kitchen table eating some breakfast.

Rebecca glances up from her eggs. "Morning, Carter."

Kate spins around in her chair to see me. "Sleep well?"

"Oh yeah. It was great." I reply, sarcasm dripping in my voice.

"I don't think anyone had a goodnight's sleep." Keri strolls in the kitchen with her heels clicking against the wooden floor.

"I think Cher did." I comment, grabbing some Apple Jacks from the pantry. "But that's probably from the Tylenol pm she took last night."

I set the cereal down on the counter and grab a plastic bowl from the cabinet next to the fridge. Keri hands me the milk from the fridge. I smile at her as a thank you. I pour some Apple Jacks in my bowl. I'm not that hungry, but I know that I should eat something.

"When does Cheryl talk to us?" Kate asks, sipping from her mug.

I put away the cereal and milk, before sitting down at the table next to Rebecca. "We don't know yet." I answer.

"I don't want to go home." Kate whines.

"No one does." I comment, eating a spoonful of cereal.

"You shouldn't be worried." Kate sets her mug down on the table and stares at me. "You will definitely go through."