Chapter 45

I twirl around in my dress one more time. The bottom of it poofs up as I spin in a circle. A laugh erupts from my lips when I stop and feel a little dizzy. Hannah grabs my arm and drags me back to the chair to finish my makeup. I close my eyes to allow her to finish.

"Are you excited?" Hannah applies some mascara to my eyelashes.

"Yes! This is one of my favorite songs mostly because Olly Murs sang this for his song when he auditioned for the X Factor." I grin, trying not to bounce in my seat.

"I'm sure you will do amazing as always. I don't know what I would do if you got sent home." Hannah tells me, sincerely.

"Awh. I don't know what I would do either. I love it here so much. My life would be boring if I didn't get to see you or anyone else." I skim my fingers over my dress.

"By anyone else, you mean Louis." Hannah laughs. "Okay. Open your eyes."

I open my eyes slowly to see Hannah smiling at me. "What time is it?"

"Eight forty five. They should be coming for you soon." Hannah checks the time on her watch. "Do you remember your dance moves?"

I hop out of the chair, nodding. "I remember everything. It's pretty easy to remember."

The door pops open. "Time to go." Louis says.

"Louis?" I stare at him, shocked. "I thought a staff member would have came to get me."

Louis grins, walking toward me. "They were, but I told them I wanted to go get you."

"You know, this moment feels a lot like a mom saying goodbye to her daughter that is going to prom." Hannah gently pushes me towards Louis.

"I'm in the dress and everything." I glance down at my black strapless dress.

Hannah decided that I should wear a short, black poofy dress tonight because it's Halloween. I'm not a big fan of dresses so I told her the only way I would wear a dress was if I could wear converse with it. We picked out a pair of bright red high top converse to go with my dress. My hair is immensely teased to make it as poofy as possible.

"C'mon." Louis offers me his arm.

"Good luck! I'll be watching from backstage!" Hannah yells at the two of us as we head for the front stage.

"You look beautiful." Louis compliments me.

"Thank you." I blush. "You look pretty handsome yourself."

Neither of us say anything else on our way to the stage. Once we reach the main backstage area, someone comes up to me to hook the microphone on me. My arm falls down to my side when Louis steps away from me. Only a few minutes until I walk out on stage to sing. A few staff members lead me up the few stairs to the back of the doors that will slide open.

"Carter Shay!" The announcer says my name.

The back of the stage turns completely black as the doors slide open. Here we go. The music to Superstition by Stevie Wonder starts playing loudly. I walk out on the stage, dancing a little to the music. The audience screams when they see me. I honestly don't think I will ever get used to this feeling.

I grip the microphone in my hand that is in the microphone stand. "Very superstitious. Writing's on the wall." I sing.

Simon nods his head in approval. Cheryl breaks out into a huge grin while Louis and Danni keep a blank face. I look away from them immediately. I need to stay focused.

"Very superstitious. Ladders 'bout to fall. Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin' glass. Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past." I grab the microphone off of the stand and back up a few steps.