[64] a walk

tripping over her own feet every five steps, poppy panted heavily as she ran as fast as she could to branch's house.

when she reached it, she felt her eyes burning. how could she have let everyone see her be mean to creek? now everyone in the village will hate me, she thought to herself.

poppy knocked, and branch answered so fast it was almost as though he had been waiting for someone at the door to show up.

"poppy!!" he said, out of breath. "sorry i'm so out of breath. i just went for a run."

poppy looked around them. "in....your bunker?"

poppy put one of his hands behind his neck. "uh, yeah. i was on the...um..treadmill. that's all."

poppy nodded and silence fell between them.

branch's mouth fell open, worryingly. "what's wrong, poppy? why are you crying?"

poppy wiped her face. "it's nothing. i just embarrassed myself."

"you did? what happened?"

poppy shook her head. branch couldn't know about creek. not on his birthday at least. "i just tripped," poppy said. "hey, i was thinking we could go for a walk? you know, since it's your birthday and all."

branch looked around him.

"what are you looking at?" she asked.

"um, nothing. but, sure. we can go for a walk. just, let's go the back way?"

poppy nodded. "you're acting weird."

"i'm just not really in the mood to see a bunch of people today. that's all," branch explained to her. "now come on. let's go for a walk."

they grabbed each other's hands and poppy skipped along the trail. she started to run and instead of letting go of branch's hand, pulled him along with her as fast as she could. they both laughed. they were able to make each other take their minds off of everything surrounding them.

it's just that, that's not always a good thing.