Chapter 27

On our way back, Andrew and I stopped at a juice joint to pick up refreshing smoothies to refuel our (well, his) energy.

"I don't understand," Andrew said while slurping on his blueberry banana vanilla smoothie. "I thought you work out so that you can burn off food. Why restock your body with what you just burned?"

I wanted to laugh out loud, but he was serious.

"You work out so that you can burn off the unhealthy stuff that you eat and so that you can utilize the healthy foods in your body for energy and muscle," I replied while sipping on my pineapple mango smoothie. I felt awkward asking them to hold the chocolate from Jason's peanut butter banana smoothie and asking them to put vanilla in... Thankfully I didn't have to explain why.

When I asked Alexis what she wanted, she said she's halfway through the game and could only reply with "whatever you're getting. Just, no chocolate."

Anywho, while answering Andrew's question, I came up with one that I'm surprised I didn't wonder earlier.

"Hey, Andrew?" I said as I opened the car door. "I meant to ask this earlier, but how come you want to become stronger? Like, in your human form? In your wolf form, I would imagine that you're plenty powerful, right?"

Andrew hopped in the car and laughed as though he had been waiting for me to ask that.

"In my wolf form, yes, I am strong enough. As a human, however, you can clearly see my results," he said while moving his hand across his bony arms. "I'd like to look like I'm at least a little active in my human form, ya know... instead of being known as the 'weak geek.'"

"Andrew, you should never change yourself just because other people don't think it's attractive. If you want my honest opinion, I think they're just trying to feel better about the little gains that they have. You know how bullies can be."

"Yeah, I know... but, I personally would like to be a little more bodily kinesthetic," What the heck does that mean? Just kidding, I know... sort of...

"And that's not just because other people are saying you should, right?"

"No... no! It's not! I see you and Jason a lot, and I notice that neither of you goes to a gym or does a sport, and I wondered how it was possible to be fit without doing so. I always told myself that it's okay to not have a.... 'perfect' body because I'm much too focused on expanding on my memory."

"And you should be! Your ability carries incredible power! And training your brain to remember more in a longer period of time? And even expanding your long-term memory? That is important!"

"But I remember what you said! Exercising the mind is just as important."

"...isn't that what I'm saying?"

He looked at me confused, and then a connection was hot-wired in his head.

"Oh! I thought you meant that exercising is good for the brain as good as educating it..."

"It is! Or, it can be."

"Well, I still remember all of those tips and explanations you gave at the gym. At first, it etched into my memory as word-for-word, but as soon as I started doing those squats I felt my brain cells sparking and connecting more with one another faster than before!"

"Really?!" Wow! This guy literally becomes smarter when he works out! "That's... that's incredible!"

"And that's why I want to continue working out under your instruction! You explain the moves so well, and you seem to know quite a lot for someone who isn't an official fitness instructor."