Chapter 29

The rest of the month didn't have anything much special besides going to school, watching Alexis's games, helping Andrew out with his fitness, and Andy skipping out on outings and dinner to go out for a nightly stroll...

In school when the next marking period began, I kept my study hall. And man was I thankful that Jason kept his during this period, too. Granted, many times he was busy helping the big boys with their homework, but it was still really nice to see him at least once during the school day.

Right now we'll be having lunch together for the first time. I was a bit confused as to why he never asked me to before... until right now...

"How the heck do you manage to even come up here?!" We're sitting on top of the roof of the school, facing directly towards the cafeteria! "How have you not been caught?!"

"It's really not as hard as you would think. What person would think to look atop the roof of a school when their priority is food?" he said while biting off the head of a fish he fried this morning.

"I guess you're right..." I said while biting out of my PB&J.

Jason looked at me concerned and, with his mouth still full and food flying out, said, "Here, take a bite of this." He offered his half-eaten fish that had his saliva allll over it... He even bit into many of the bones, making me shiver thinking about my own bones crumbling... I tried to hide my disgust, but he asked, "You okay?" while still holding out the fish to my face. I won't lie. The fish looked delicious before he devoured half of its meat and skeleton.

"Yeah, I just... I don't typically enjoy eating other people's food that they've... marked, so to say." Marked? Why would I say marked?

He seemed just as befuddled. I could tell by the expressions on his face that he was trying to imagine how the word "marked" would relate, and that's when he started laughing his butt off.

"What's so funny?!"

"Oh my gosh, ya-you-you, BAH!" he keeps laughing.

I don't know what he's laughing at, but I already don't like it... I give him the cold shoulder to let him know that I don't appreciate being made fun of.

"Hey, hey, hey, come on, don't be like that. It's just that when I think of the word 'marked,' I think of marking one's territory. Danny, I can assure you that I did not urinate on this fish." I didn't even think about that... Man, I feel like such a jerk that I'm giving myself the cold shoulder. Though, I could tell that was confusing Jason even more. "Um... What are you doing?"

I'm digging my head between my legs and shaking it while pulling hair out from the back of my head. What does it look like I'm doing?

"Hating myself for my insensitivity..."

"Aww... hey, you weren't being insensitive. Perhaps an odd choice of vocabulary, but come on. You don't want to bite into this fish because I've already bitten into it?"

"Well... simply put, yeah."

"Simply put? How can it be more complicated?"

"Well, if you just took a simple bite with like a fork or at least didn't... slobber all over it... I'd eat it."

"Slobber? Wait, you have a problem with eating food that I slobber over?"

I give him the squinted eyes. Boy, what? "Um... yes?"

"So... let me see if I can break this down into terms that let you see what I'm hearing. You. Don't want to take just a bite. Of this here fish." I let out a moan. Where is this going... "Because!" he raises his voice so that I'll obey... "You don't want to touch something that has had my spit all over it?"