Chapter 39

FLASHBACK

"Did you guys hear about the new kid who showed up this morning?" said Damien. Blech, every time he speaks I want to throw up. Nothing against high pitched voices. But if people expect all gay people to talk like that, then I'll be forever straight in their minds...

Whoever this new kid is, he must be here on a sports scholarship. They never let anyone new come in the middle of the year unless it's something that will bring the school a better name...

I'm walking through the halls where this is nobody around... well... except for Ryan...

"You..." Ryan said to me threateningly. I never thought I'd see him again. Not after that one night I did... something to him. I don't know what, but I did. Hm.

I don't look at him and walk right past him.

"I'm talking to you," he says behind my back.

"I'm not," I reply and continue moving forward.

"Hey!" he shouts.

I turn right around with an angry expression on my face. My eyes start to hurt a little, but at the same time Ryan seems to be cowering away.

"I... never mind..." he says as he slowly backs away.

"And leave me alone. For good." I commanded. Surely enough, he would.

He runs away, leaving me all alone in the hall. There goes another lost "friend." I don't get what's with me and driving people away. I mean, I'd say I try to be nice. I help people with their homework as much as I can only to be trash talked behind my back. Is saying nothing at all considered "nice?"

I put my hood up and walk towards the cafeteria. On the way I see a six-foot tall, brown-haired guy in a midnight purple sweatshirt and skinny jeans that show off his pumped calves and bulging thighs... got a nice butt, too... Bah! No! Not looking! Keeping my head down low and keeping my eyes out of sight...

"Oof!" I bumped into him. So much for laying low...

"Sorry!" I blurted and tried to take off.

"Hey, wait!" he said, grabbing my hand. "I need a little help. Can you show me where the cafeteria is?" Who is this guy? And... why is he holding my hand...?

"Are... are you new?"

"Ye-yeah..." I could feel his hands trembling. They weren't like that a second ago when he grabbed me. Am I making him nervous? He can't see my face... maybe he's anticipating that an ugly person is holding him. He can't see my body covered by my hoodie and sweatpants. "Um... I'm Jason. Jason Powers."

"I-" I don't need to make a bad impression of myself on this guy. He doesn't seem to know who I am. Besides, he seems like the type who would hang out with the jocks. "If you go to that annex straight ahead and then turn right, you should see the cafeteria."

"Awesome!" he said, still holding my hand. He was walking away, while he pulled me with him. What the heck?! Why is he still holding my hand?!

"Hey! Wait! What are you doing?" I questioned him.

"I kinda need you in case I get lost. That and you're the first person I've talked to... I've been a little nervous to continue through on my own." Says the one whose teeth are chattering like the bones of a dancing skeleton. "At my old school- well, let's just say it wasn't this... normal." Normal? If by normal he means finding pills in every corner of the school and every bathroom, occupied by teenagers banging each other, then yeah. We're pretty normal. "Do you mind if I sit with you?"