01 | wendigo ¹

BANSHEE

01 | wendigo ¹

01 | wendigo ¹

Abigail was sat on her bike as she waited for Wendy to come back. A cigarette was loosely draped between her lips as she twirled a gun in her hands. It only took a few minutes for Wendy to reappear, zipping up her jeans. "Ready?" Abigail asked, bored. Wendy shook her head, approaching her car.

She opened the trunk and took out a khaki duffel and a small video camera. Abigail sighed, letting the cigarette fall to the ground as she walked over to her friend. She opened the back door of the car, taking a beer from the box. She thought briefly, before hitting the top of the bottle against a rock.

"Hey, dumbass," Wendy called, Abigail turning around. "We have a bottle opener." Abigail shrugged, drinking the beer. Wendy rolled her eyes, hiding the smile which tugged at her lips as Abigail rest her back against the car.

The sound of another car pulling up caught the two girl's attention, turning away from the car. Abigail looked to her side, seeing Haley climb out of it. "Abbie?" Haley asked, Abigail cursing to herself and finishing the bottle, placing it back in the box and taking out a new one.

"Haley, hi!" she greeted, a wide smile on her face. Abigail hadn't noticed the glass had caused her mouth to bleed, so she stood wondering what the metallic taste in her mouth was. She chose to ignore it and prepared to hit the bottle off the rock one more time as Wendy spoke.

"Just use the freaking bottle opener!" She exclaimed, glaring at Abigail.

"If your not careful I'll use you instead of the rock!" Abigail snapped back, eyes narrowing at the taller girl. Wendy sighed as Abigail turned back to the rock and once more broke the top of the bottle.

"What are you doing here?" Haley asked the pair, walking to Wendy.

"Colonising Mars," Abigail replied with a deadpan look and tone. "The hell does it look like? We're going camping."

"No, you're not," a voice of an older man spoke up. Abigail looked at him, eyeing him from head to toe, and laughed.

"Yes, we are," Wendy replied before Abigail could.

"Look, I've just had a beer and I'm a reckless driver when I've had a drink and there is no way in hell I'm leaving my bike," Abigail said calmly -- calmer than Wendy had expected.

"Just come back for it." Wendy's eyes widened and Haley's head fell, her hands covering her face. Abigail slowly approached the man. She stopped a foot away from him as another car approached, though Abigail took no notice.

"Just come back for it?" Abigail repeated what he said. "I am not leaving my bike. That bike is like my child. What the hell makes you think I would leave my child in the middle of fucking nowhere!?"

"You guys got room for two more?" Abigail turned to the two adults who had climbed out of a black Impala. Their eyes fell to the two girls of whom they hadn't met before. "Who are they?"

     "A friend," Haley answered, looking at Abigail with a smile. Abigail slowly looked away, taking a drink from the broken beer bottle in her hand.

     "You don't need to worry about us," Wendy assured, closing the trunk of her car. "We're just camping."

     "No, I don't think so." Abigail rolled her eyes as she took another drink from the bottle and grabbed a black rucksack from the backseat.

     "I'm here to meet up with a friend who I haven't seen since I was twelve. So, if you don't mind, I'll be going whether you want me to or not," Abigail retorted, grabbing the box of beers and slamming the car door shut.

"Your funeral," one of the men mumbled as Abigail and Wendy began to walk away. Wendy stopped walking briefly, giving them a wide-eyed look before running after Abigail. She stepped in front of her, stopping her from walking away. Abigail sighed, knowing everyone was still watching them.

"Bee, they seem to know what they're doing. Maybe they're right," Wendy said calmly. Abigail narrowed her eyes at her friend.

"Seriously?" Wendy nodded as Abigail sighed. "You're forgetting something: old man, two kids, and two suspiciously hot guys. That stinks of trouble." Abigail turned around, Wendy's fingers wrapping around her arm.

"Tell me something then," Wendy looked at Abigail as she turned around. "Do you have a feeling. Like the feeling?" Abigail opened her mouth to reply, but nothing came out. "You do, don't you?" Abigail sighed.

"I don't know," she replied quietly, looking over her shoulder to the trees.

"You don't know? How do you not know?" Wendy hissed, everyone able to hear what the two were saying.

"Because I'm not exactly sober right now, Dee!" Abigail exclaimed, glaring at the brunette. Wendy's mouth fell open.

"Seriously!?" Abigail nodded sheepishly, her lips pressed together. "You're drunk? Already?"

"No," Abigail scoffed. She glanced around herself, scratching the back of her neck. "I'm high."

"You know what? You go. I'm staying here," Wendy told her. Abigail's jaw dropped.

"You're kidding me, right?" Abigail asked, letting the box of beer fall to the ground along with her black bag.

"I am way beyond jokes, Abigail," Wendy snapped. "You're too much of a pussy to put up with your feelings, so you drink and get high to push it away-To pretend you're human!" Abigail looked at Wendy with her eyebrows raised in annoyance, her hands in her waist. "What? You gonna hit me?"

"You know, you call me a pussy, but you need to take a look in a mirror," Abigail yelled, stepping forward and pushing Wendy. "You forced me out here to visit Tommy. I didn't want to see him, I didn't want to come back, but you wanted me to come back here so bad to go camping because it's your favourite thing. I went on a plane, for Christ's sake!" Abigail shrieked. "And now, after you forcing me back to the one place I never wanted to see again, you're backing out like you always do!"

Wendy threw her arm forward, startling Abigail as her knuckles hit her jaw line. As Abigail lunged forward, a pair of arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her back, lifting her to the other side of the car. As her feet were placed back on the ground, she turned around and walk away.

"Have fun dying!" Wendy yelled as Abigail grabbed the black bag off the ground.

"Don't worry! You'll hear me scream if the Blair Witch finds me!" Abigail yelled back as she disappeared into the trees.

Wendy looked at Abigail with narrowed eyes, everyone fallen silent. "I'm sorry, did my friend make it awkward for you?"