27 | red sky at morning ¹

BANSHEE

27 | red sky at morning ¹

     Abigail had strands of her hair pinned behind her head as she had her hands shoved in her jacket's pockets. Gertrude Case, the witness, was holding a framed photograph of the victim who had drowned in the shower. For a seventy year old, she was very elegant. And, apparently, into younger men as she had ignored Sam's closeness to Abigail and shamelessly flirted with him.

     "But I don't understand. I already went over all this with the other detectives," Gert told the group.

     "Right, yes. But, see, we're with the Sheriff's Department, not the police department. Different departments," Dean explained.

     "So, Misses Case..." Sam trailed.

     "Please." Gert intently looked at Sam. "Ms Case."

     "Okay. Um, Ms. Case, um... You were the one who found your niece, correct?" Sam questioned.

     "I came home, she was in the shower," Gert began.

     "And she... Drowned?" Abigail asked, the confusion clear in her voice.

     "So the coroner says. Now, you tell me, how can someone drown in the shower?" Gert asked.

     "Could look up at the shower head with their mouth open," Abigail said quietly, Dean holding back a snicker as Sam looked with wide eyes ahead of himself.

     "Um..." Sam trailed, clearing his throat. "How would you describe Sheila's behavior in the days before her death? I mean, did she seem frightened? Maybe she said something out of the ordinary, or..."

     "Wait a minute. You're working with Alex, aren't you?" Gert asked, changing the subject.

     "Yep. Absolutely. That's," Dean paused, laughing, "Alex and us, we're like this."

     "Why didn't you say so? Alex has been such a comfort. But I'm sorry. I thought the case was solved."

     "Uh... Well, no. No, not yet," Sam answered.

     "Almost. We're just... Ensuring everything is perfect."

     "I see," Gert responded.