17 | croatoan ¹

BANSHEE

17 | croatoan ¹

17 | croatoan ¹

Abigail stepped out of the cab in the town of Rivergrove, removing the sunglasses from her eyes and moving them to her head. Sam and Dean waiting for her by the Impala. She gave them a small smile. "'Sup, bitches!" She exclaimed, her dress being kicked around by her thighs with every step. "What's so important that you had to take me away from my girlfriend?"

     "Jo mentioned," Dean smirked.

     "Part of me is thankful, don't tell her," Abigail said. Sam raised an eyebrow, telling her to continue. "Okay, doesn't leave the group, but she wants kids and marriage. Kids. And not adoption, either! I don't want that until I'm at least thirty-five. And I am never turning thirty-five."

"Did you tell her?" Sam asked. Abigail pressed her lips together. "Abbie, you have to tell her!" Sam told the girl.

"I will!" Abigail replied defensively. "But I can't over the phone and you guys need me, so it's gonna have to wait."

Giving in, they all walked across the road. Sam bumped into a telephone pole, glancing as they passed. He stopped, reading the single word carved into it: Croatoan.

Sam pointed to the word. "Hey."

"Croatoan?" Dean asked, not understanding.

"Yeah," Sam agreed. Dean stared blankly.

"Roanoke?" Sam asked, Dean not understanding. "Roanoke? Lost colony? Ring a bell? Dean, did you pay any attention in history class?"

"Yeah! Shots heard 'round the world, How bills becomes laws..."

"That's not school, that's Schoolhouse Rock," Sam replied.

"Roanoke was one of the first English colonies in America during the late 1500s. They vanished overnight with only one word carved into a tree," Abigail explained. As she finished, she gestured to the word.

She and Sam said it in unison, "Croatoan."

"Yeah. And I mean, there were theories: Indian raid, disease, but nobody knows what really happened. They were all just gone. I mean, wiped out overnight," Sam explained.

"You don't think that's what's going on here, I mean..."

     "Whatever I saw in my head, it sure wasn't good. But what do you think could do that?" Sam asked.