32 | long-distance call ¹

BANSHEE

32 | long-distance call ¹ ²

Abigail looked around the room in confusion. She was admiring the crime scene, assessing every inch of it. Sam and Dean were discussing the suicide with Misses Waters, the woman who discovered her husband's body.

Abigail looked at the phone torn from the wall, eyeing it suspiciously. "Ma'am, why is the phone ripped from the wall?" Abigail asked, looking at it.

     She looked away from Sam and Dean and towards the blonde. "I don't know."

     "Mind if I take a look?" Abigail gestured to the phone, Misses Waters shaking her head.

     "Go ahead."

     Abigail looked back to the phone and pressed a few buttons, a caller name appearing at the top. She furrowed her eyebrows, taking out her pen and writing it on her hand.

     "Ma'am, what time did your husband die?" Sam asked.

     "Sometime after eleven."

     "What about strange phone calls? Receive any of those lately, weird interference, static, anything like that?" Abigail walked over to them, stopping between the brothers.

"No," she said defensively. Abigail raised an eyebrow at her. "No!"

"Misses Waters, withholding information from the police is a capital offence," Dean told her firmly. Sam cleared his throat noisily, Dean glancing around him. Sam gave him a bitchface that made Abigail proud. "In some parts of the world I'm sure," he added, under his breath.

"A couple of weeks ago, uh... There was this..." Misses Waters kept trailing off.

"This what?" Abigail interrupted, growing impatient.

"I woke up one morning, I heard Ben in his study. I thought he was talking to a woman."

Abigail's eyebrows perked up. "What made you think that?" Sam asked.

"Because he kept calling her Linda. The thing is, I picked up the other line and nobody was there, Ben was talking to nobody," Misses Waters explained.

"There was nothing?" Abigail asked, confused.

"Just static."