TWENTY

I do not own the song, the characters, and pictures. I just edited the pictures. However this story is mine, and please do not copy it. Be original.
Song: Gone, Gone, Gone
Artist: Phillip Phillips
Chapter Name: ⚠️ A Big Sister's Job ⚠️
__________________________________________________________________________________

T H I R D   P E R S O N   P O V

Fuyumi is tired. Being around children normally makes her feel better—she is a kindergarten teacher after all.

However, just felt as if nothing could heal this. She honestly hadn't been sleeping much these past few nights. Her mind has been plagued with the same nightmares on repeat. Trauma replaying on loop.

She knows that Aizawa can tell what she's feeling as soon as she notices his eyes looking at her tired face. She mentally slaps herself for forgetting to put on some sort of make up to cover up her horrifying complexion.

However, she keeps her happy act up for the four children looking at her in awe. The girl's always had a love for kids; even though the only reason she ever had become a teacher in the first place was to boost Endeavour's reputation. She loves her job, even if her students are mean brats sometimes.

Fuyumi eventually feels Mahoro dose off while leaning against the teacher's side. She motions to Aizawa when she sees that the other kids are nodding off as well.

Fuyumi slowly lifts up Mahoro with her left arm, making her head spin quite a bit. The woman gently swoops down to pick up Eri with her other arm. Shouta grabs the two boys the same way, and both teachers make their way towards the staircase. Fuyumi's vision blurs for a second, making her stop in her tracks.

Aizawa notices this as well, and silently waits for her to be steady enough to move again.

'Damnit.' She cusses in her head.

Together, the two adults gently carry the tiny bodies back to their rooms. Fuyumi tucks the girls in, and then flicks on their nightlight. When she's done, she nearly trips over Aizawa's foot while trying to escape back to her and Nejire's bedroom.

"Wait, I want to talk to you." Aizawa states in his usual emotionless voice. Fuyumi freezes, and then turns around with a—fake—happy smile.

"What's up?" Fuyumi chirps.

Aizawa sighs. "You look tired. Have you been getting enough sleep?" The man stares straight into the female Todoroki's eyes. The girl shutters a bit at how dull his expression is.

"Oh, yeah." Fuyumi briskly lies. "I've just been working on some lesson plans for my class. If I'm going to be working with kindergarteners in an online classroom, I have to have multiple plans ready—you know how it is." Shouta gives her a look. The girl just waves it off, claiming that 'she really is fine.'

"What about the nights I hear you meet Shouto out in the living room at three in the morning?" Fuyumi attempt to cut Shouta off with her statement, but gets shot down. "It seems like you tend to stay up and watch him to make sure he gets sleep while you just sit and wait."

Fuyumi scratches her neck nervously. "Well—er—yes, that is the idea. I noticed that he seemed to be having nightmares, so I offer to stay with him sometimes. I used to do this when we were kids; it was the only time we really got to spend together. It's a habit." The girl awkwardly laughs.

Shouta isn't amused.

"How often did this happen when you were younger. Had to happen a lot for this to become a habit. And why didn't your parents just deal with him? That's their job as caretakers after all." Shouta states plainly. Fuyumi's expression changes to the face of a deer caught in headlights.

"Often enough, I guess." She looks down in what Shouta guesses is shame of some sort.

A sigh irrupts from the black haired male. He gives the girl a stern look as soon as she lifts her head back up. He softly places a hand on her shoulder, reassuring her with the comfort that she so desperately needed.

"I don't know if you have any younger siblings," Shouta interrupts with a swift head shake, giving Fuyumi her answer to keep going, "but it's a big sister's job to make sure her siblings are safe. It's a sibling's job to look out for one another. If your parents aren't around, it's your call to take them."

Fuyumi's voice starts to mellow down, making her sound extremely quiet.

"Unfortunately, that's what life was like for us, even though it wasn't pleasant. I tried, and I think I did a somewhat decent job." The girl breaks a small, genuine smile.

Shouta sees the tears starting to pool in her eyes—her trembling hands stay loose by her side. Getting a terrifyingly familiar feeling in his gut, Shouta leans out to catch the girl as if she was going to faint.

Spoiler alert, she does.

She flops into Shouta's arms. The latter gently maneuvers her onto his back to carry her to her room. She doesn't wake up at all on the walk there. Shouta sighs once more while quietly opening the door as to not wake Nejire. He swiftly places her down on her bed, and pulls a red blanket—which was hanging off of the edge—and covers her.

Shouta looks at her pale face once more while removing her glasses. He places them on her nightstand, and hesitantly walks away.

•••

Trudging out of the bedroom, he scoots over to Shouto and Hitoshi's shared space.

Hitoshi had supposedly texted him earlier while he was dealing with Fuyumi. The boys had wanted him to come and play a round of Uno with them.

Tiredly opening the bedroom door, he sees Hitoshi and Shouto standing up and nearly cutting off each other's throats. Shouta marches up to stop them from fighting, but gets pushed back a step by a swing from Hitoshi's arm.

"Ack!" Shouta mumbles as he hugs his stomach.

Shouto and Hitoshi both swing their heads towards Shouta. Hitoshi wears a look of fear, and Shouto a look of surprise.

Shouta eventually stands up fully again, as if completely unphased.

Hitoshi freezes.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I guess this and the other chapter didn't upload, so I'm uploading them again. I'm sorry guys 😓