20) Brighter Future

Ruby was almost 19. Her birthday was just over 2 weeks away. Until she turned 18 she would stay with winter, flint, neon or Marrow over the holidays as Ruby had not visited or had contact with home since that day 2 and a half years ago. Though she found no sadness in it. After everyone was told what happened they made it clear that they were her family. Ruby's life only got better after she left. She never slept alone save for missions as her and Marrow had been blossoming. She had risen through the ranks of the military and was truly a special specialist Rose. Ruby coasted steadily in the top rankings of most of her classes and always helped anyone who struggled in classes. Her secret training of her powers progressed wonderfully and though still responding if she got wound up Ruby now had more control over them. Ruby was truly a prodigy. A smart, resourceful young woman who was skilled with both weapon and forge alike with the leadership to ignite hope from nothing and beloved by all her peers. Ruby had it all in life. Her first shot at a family might have been a disaster but now she had friends, brothers, a big sister, a mentor and a supportive boyfriend; she had the best job and studied at the finest school. That's not to say she didn't work incredibly hard for everything she got. One would consider her spoiled before they heard her story. Which brings us to the present day. After having breakfast with penny, neon and flynt she had just finished 3 large pieces of homework and built a small airship about the size of a scoutship though she wasn't told what it was for. She breaked for lunch with winter and was back at her workshop by the time the general came marching in.
"Specialist Rose."
Judging by his formalities it was something serious.
"General Ironwood sir!" Ruby replied saluting just as winter had taught her.
"Been on the job 3 and a half years now haven't you? Risen through the ranks quickly."
"I have sir, yes. And I suppose so?"
"Ruby you have been building that ship haven't you?"
"Just finished today sir."
"The ship is yours Ruby."
"I-I'm sorry sir?"
"Every specialist ranking above level 8 has a ship and this one if yours specialist Rose. Instead of dropships or taking the shuttle down to mantle you have your own ship."
"I'll leave you to be excited in peace. And don't forget about the picnic this evening."
With that the general left and Ruby steadied herself on her bench. Her own ship seemed unimaginable. Ruby began stuttering out disbelifed laughter before whooping and laughing with pure joy. Though she had never really stopped to appreciate how high in ranking she had made it she did now. Killing her last 2 hours of shift by painting red accents onto my brand new ship. It felt amazing just to be able to say such a thing. Ruby felt light and fluffy just like the pancakes she had for breakfast. In her joy of dancing about to show tunes and painting the ship accents Ruby almost forgot about the picnic. To celebrate the kick off of the winter holidays everyone is getting together for a picnic. As In everyone everyone. For those who had mentors their mentors would be coming down. All the Ace-ops would be there, the general and Winter were both coming and as were all her friends. For a few minutes they would even be facetiming team JNPR and team SSSN who were having their own picnic as everyone had become friends since Ruby inroduced them It was a great way to start off the holidays. Just as Ruby left her lab she bumped into Penny- which of course felt like crashing into a brick wall.
"Salutations Ruby! You had forgotten to pick up your report card from the main hall. So I grabbed it for you. Here you go!"
"Thank you Penny. Would you mind helping me up?"
"Of course gem!"
"Thank you. Alright let's see what I passes this term. I- , no way!"
"What is it Ruby?"
"Penny I got 9star(A*)in all my subjects! All of them!"
"Congratulations Ruby! With good grades come a bright future!"
"And I've got a future."
"Ruby it is beginning to turn darker outside and the picnic is in 11:27 minutes. Might I suggest we go change. Me out of my gymwear and you out of oil stained workshop clothes?"
"That would be a marvellous idea penny. I'll see you there."
With that Ruby continued quickly to her room more conscious of the time. Well, it is technically her room but half the drawers and half the closet was Marrows and he kinda lived here too despite having an official room on the military barracks. Going through said closet Ruby picked out, obviously her cloak, a black fishnet skirt with some red trim, red leggings underneath, a black and red corset with a white long sleeved off the shoulder top underneath. She paired it with some long leather high heeled black boots , put her long red sliver and black hair into a ponytail leaving out her fringe and a few strands at the side to frame her face and she was good to go. Grabbing the part of the picnic she and Marrow had to being Ruby was out the door and making her way to a field on the edge of atlas overlooking the tundra. Tonight the northern lights would be lighting up the sky, perfect timing.

~~~Elsewhere~~~

"Guys what am I meant to do?" Marrow asked panicking.
"Well you inhale oxygen and then use your voicebox to ask the damn question. God knows you work your voicebox to exhaustion all the rest of the time." Harriet replied sarcastically. Clover gave her a scolding look before offering up some real advice,
"There is nothing you can do Marrow. Wait for Ruby's best friends neon and the jazz player to get her on her feet and then you'll know the right moment to pop the question."
"I know, I know. I made a plan and I should follow it but it's just so nerve wreaking. I'm less nervous to fight a levaithan with my bare hands."
"Well luckily you don't have to fight a levaithan with your bare hands. All you have to do is ask 1 simple question."
"Alright then! Now that Marrow is all pep talked up we must go to the picnic and eat everything there!"
"Relax Elm. We still have 5 minutes to get there. Let's go everyone." Everyone rushed into the shuttle that would take them to the gate and from there walked across the field to the edge where everyone had gathered. Ruby was already there and Marrow tried to swallow his fear as he sat down beside her and said hi. Video calls were enabled and the picnic began.
About 2 hours in Neon and Flyby grabbed Ruby to go look at some 'baby penguins' that were on the ground beneath Atlas. At that same time Marrow stood up and signalled to winter that he was ready. Almost everyone had their scroll out recording and teams JNPR and SSSN were confused. They weren't confused for long as Marrow pulled a small box out of his pocket and got down behind Ruby on one knee. Ruby turned around when she felt a presence behind her and her hands flew to her mouth in shock as she gasped. Before her Marrow was on one knee looking nervous enough to puke, holding a small ring box containing a simple silver engagement with a circular ruby in the middle.
"Ruby I never thought that a person like you could exist, much less that you would ever want to be with me- let alone for the 3 and a half years you have been mine. But I want to take that further, Ruby I want to stay with you for the rest of my life. Will you marry me?"
"YES!" Cheers rang out, pyrrha and winter were crying a little and marrow leapt up hugged Ruby and spun her around. Both had irremovable smiles on their faces and Marrow slid the ring onto Ruby's finger.  Their audience were still recording and grinning. Winter cut through the dying cheers,
"Well I think that is a perfect way to end the day. Engaged people still need to get up in the morning so let's all head home." Everyone packed up and were still buzzing with joy on the shuttle back into the school. Marrow and Ruby had yet to let go of each other and in their ecstatic state nobody thought of just how quickly news could spread. 
Back at Beacon team JNPR were all very happy for their friend and pyrrha had shed a few tears. Team WBY knocked on the door and when it opened asked what the excitement was for,
"Hey guys. So, what's up with all the cheering?"
"Excuse me but is Pyrrha crying?"
"Sorry guys we were just on a video call with our friends and 2 of them got engaged." Jaune apologized. Then Pyrrha came over still teary-eyed and unknowingly made her friends life 10x more complicated,
"Ruby is getting married to Marrow! Isn't it wonderful?" she said drying her eyes with a tissue Ren had given her. Weiss knowing of the siblings situation replied affirmatively and said good for her before gently guiding Yang back to their dorm room and onto blake's bed. Blake asked what was the matter and Yang spoke in disbelief,
"Ruby. Ruby's getting married." Blake knew what had happened between the sisters(at least the version that Yang told her) and rubbed Yang's back soothingly as if it could help. 
"Dad isn't going to be able to walk her down the aisle and me and qrow won't be invited. I don't even know if she was planning on telling us or not, we haven't spoken in 2 and a half years. I'm going to end up just like uncle qrow used to be- not allowed to visit and unable to meet my nieces or nephews. All because Ruby won't grow up!" Yang sobbed. So whilst Ruby lied in bed with Marrow feeling on cloud 9 Yang cried herself to sleep.

Yes I know I've moved the timeline on quite a bit but I will still be doing the vytal festival. It just takes place in later schooling years instead of the first one. Yes Ruby is getting married and hasn't spoken to her family in years- this ought to be entertaining to say the least.