Chapter 9.1

Nothing lifts the soul like the emergence of new life.

     - Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Moon]

The howl tore through the night, a mournful sound laced with terror and despair. It ripped Moon from his sleep. He sat straight up in the bed with heart racing.

Celeste!

Bolting out the open hatch, he raced down the passageway into the guest bedroom. Celeste laid trembling on the floor in the dim light, curled into a ball against the back wall with arms around her belly. Raspy sobs tumbled from her lips. Kneeling on one knee, he put a hand on her shoulder.

Brushing long dark hair back from her face, Moon said, "Celeste... It's okay. You are safe."

Celeste's far-away eyes slowly changed focus to his face. On the floor, she reached out to him. He sat down beside her and drew her into an embrace until the sobs ebbed. The tears had wetted the neckline of the white t-shirt she wore as a nightgown.

Moon stood and bent down, sliding an arm under her legs to lift her. He gently placed her on the bed and sat beside her. "The nightmare again?"

Celeste nodded and leaned her head into his shoulder, wiping wetness from her eyes. "I'm sorry, I should be stronger."

He spoke to the ceiling. "Lights." The lighting panels glowed, bathing the room in a comforting brightness.

Even before he scanned the room, he knew her terror was not here. Besides the bed fixed to the floor on one side, all it contained was a short cushioned bench on the opposite side, a few built-in drawers, and a small mirror on the otherwise plain gray walls.

Not exactly cheery.

Celeste broke the embrace and he helped her lay back on the pillow. She said, "I know it was not real, but within the dream, it was."

Moon felt so helpless. "Can I get you anything?"

She shook her head. "No. I think I'm okay now." Fluffing her pillow, she turned to one side. "Thank you."

Moon nodded as he stood. At the doorway, he looked back one more time. She had already turned away with legs curled and a spare pillow between her knees. "Lights low," he said as he left.

He strolled slowly to his bunk, then plopped down on his back with hands folded under his head. Celeste was a strong dedicated woman and nearly imperturbable, but with what she went through at the Oracle station, the night terrors were understandable. That they tortured her so much told of their severity. His heart ached for her suffering.

If only there was something I could do.

A soft knock caught his attention.

She stood hugging the door frame, backlit by the hallway lights. Even in the low light, her eyes pleaded. "Moon... I don't want to be alone. May I...?"

This he could do for her. "Of course." Lifting his arm, he invited her to his bed. She laid beside him, facing away. Moon spooned behind and wrapped a protective arm around her. Within a moment, Celeste drifted off to peaceful sleep.

*****

"Oww!"

Celeste's voice pulled Moon from slumber. Sitting up, she had a hand on her extended belly. He snapped his head up off the pillow. "What is it?"

Her smile eased him. "It's your children. I think they are fighting again." She gasped. "Oh..."

Moon put his hand next to hers, feeling the rumbles that came from within. He whispered to her belly. "Easy now, little ones."