Chapter 28.2

[Gabriel]

"Who was he?" Gabriel asked, sitting up on his cot and rubbing sore ribs.

"His name is Sabre," Augar replied, sitting on his own cot. "A cousin in the Khan family. Too entitled was he even for them, so they sent him here to learn some manners. You made a potent enemy, my friend."

Oh, great. "Well," Gabriel shook his head, "It doesn't seem like he learned anything. So, who is the Khan family, anyway?"

"You know this not?" Augar dropped his jaw. "They be the most powerful family on this world. You would do well to remember that. They rule this province by force, including the city. Anything done here be by their blessing."

"That's not a good government system."

Augar sighed. "It wasn't always this way. Although never prosperous, Ephenia was an honorable world. Soon after the Sol Empress' murder, the Trade Consortium took over and appointed the prime families to rule. Try I did to oppose them. Now, here I be." He shook his head. "Such a loss that the Line ended."

Words of assurance that the Line of the Empress still existed came to Gabriel's lips, but he held them back. Instead, he said, "For what it is worth, I am no fan of the Consortium. They want me and my sister dead."

Augar grinned. "You truly have powerful enemies, my friend."

Gabriel found his standing heightened among the others in the cell, communicated by nods and even verbal thanks. Apparently, nobody liked Sabre. When the next meal arrived, they allowed Gabriel to the front of the line.

Sura smiled at him as she ladled out a measure of stew into his bowl and allowed him extra bread. She whispered, "I have not found your sister, but will continue looking. Others are helping too."

A tingle crawled through Gabriel's gut. He didn't know if this was good news or bad news. Please be well, Hope. He whispered back to Sura, "Thank you."

After dinner, two guards in the same green and red uniforms strolled into the cell. One gazed down at a tablet viewer, which led him to Gabriel. The guard motioned Gabriel to rise. "Come with us."

"Why?"

"It's your turn in the Ring." The guard grinned. "We have a special opponent for you."

Rising, Gabriel asked Augar, "What do I have to do?"

With a grim face, the old man replied, "Survive."

Gabriel's stomach knotted as they walked down a long dim hallway constructed of stone block and a muffled crowd roar met his ears. "What is your name?" the guard with the viewer said.

"Gabriel."

"Like the angel?"

"Yeah, because I am so angelic."

The guard chuckled as he entered something on the tablet. "That's what we will call you. Angel. The crowd will like that."

They emerged into the arena waiting area, which held a row of small metal-mesh cages with dirt floors, Gabriel going into one. Through a series of barred arched doorways came bright light and the ebbs of a cheering crowd. The Ring, he presumed. Periodically, two men jumped into the narrow view wearing the black prison garb, slashing at each other with knives.

Another prisoner entered the area and sneered at Gabriel as he passed, shooting menace from fiery eyes. Pointing a finger, he spat his words. "You're dead, khara!"

It was Sabre. This just keeps getting better.

In gladiator type matches, there was always gambling, Gabriel thought. He caught the attention of the guard with the tablet viewer. "What are my odds?"