Chapter 38.1

True greatness comes not from power itself, but how it is wielded.

- Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Hope]

"Aren't you going to open it?" Gabriel asked, peering over Hope's shoulder at the tablet viewer in her hands.

Hope jerked. Until he spoke, she had not noticed his presence behind her. "I... I don't know." Dated several days ago, the text message from Stephen had waited patiently, but she could not bring herself to read it. After so long, why does he message me now?

"What are you afraid of?" Gabriel lifted an eyebrow in query. "Hmm? That he has gotten over you?"

"No." Hope continued to stare at the screen, her finger refusing to touch the message. Just the opposite. I am afraid that he has not.

In a swift move, Gabriel snatched the tablet from his sister's hands. "Well, if you won't, then--"

"Don't you dare!" Hope jumped up and snatched it back, then held the tablet behind her back, out of reach. "Okay, I'll look at it, but not in front of you." She raced out of the galley to her room, closing and locking the door behind her. In dim lighting, she lowered herself to sit on the bed while keeping her eyes glued to the tablet screen.

It took two deep breaths, and a concentrated act of will to touch the screen. She held her breath as the brief text message popped up.

'Hope,

I love you.

There, I said it.'

At once, her vision blurred. Stephen, no. Don't break your heart, or mine. Hope wiped her eyes and continued reading.

'I debated whether I should ever contact you. After all, you are the Empress, and I didn't want to distract you from what dangers you may face. What you are doing is very important for everyone. But I couldn't let you go without saying how I felt, at least once.

I would understand if you do not respond back. If so, I will let you go. Regardless, I will never regret what time we had together. And I know you will make a great Sol Empress.

Be safe,

Stephen'

Hope hugged the tablet viewer to her chest as salty tears filled her eyes. Now I have to respond. As she extended the viewer, one more line of text appeared.

'Oh, Amil says hello. I attached another one of his drawings.'

With another touch, the image opened. The stick figure drawing brought a warm smile to Hope. She easily made out the standing figures representing herself and Amil, with prosthetic legs drawn in thick dark-gray lines. Beside them stood his mother, and further away, two taller men, likely Gabriel and Stephen. Everyone wore broad smiles under a bright sun.

Bless you, Amil, never lose your joy. With a few swipes, Hope forwarded the image to Gabriel.

With some coordinated effort, Hope arranged a private communication with Stephen across the vastness of space. Eventually, he stood alone in Priestess Sanva's office on his home world near the long-range com, but appeared as a flickering life-size holographic image in Hope's bedroom.

Stephen held his breath as he reached out to caress her cheek, but no sensation of touch occurred. "Hope..." he said with an airy voice. "I'm glad you called."

Hope cupped his holographic hand with hers. "I got your text message. Thank you, Stephen."

He pulled his hand away. Even over the low signal resolution, a flush appeared on his cheeks. "I wasn't sure I should have sent it. I don't want to complicate everything."

"Love usually does." She smiled as a warmth flooded her heart. "I wish I could be with you."

"I wish I was with you now."

"You would be a huge distraction to me." Hope shook her head, all the while grinning.

Stephen grinned in return. "Sometimes distraction is fun." His smile faded to a serious expression. "Hope, do we have a future?"

"Honestly, I don't know, Stephen." She dipped her head, then turned up to gaze into his eyes. "I would like to try. But there is something you must know. Powerful people may always oppose me, and they may try to get to me through you. I could not bear to bring you harm."

"Then we keep it secret. To me, it is worth the risk to be together."

Hope shook her head. "Think carefully about that, Stephen. I don't think you fully comprehend what lengths my enemies might go, and what terrible things they might do." She stepped back. "But let's talk about that later. First, there are, umm, things I need to resolve."

"What things?"

"I... I shouldn't tell you that."

"Of course," Stephen said, nodding as he dipped his head. "I understand."

"Thank you." Hope plopped down on the edge of the bed and put on a wide grin. "Now, tell me everything that is happening there."

They talked for over an hour and laughed at each other's lame puns. Amil had been pronounced free of his degenerative disease and his mother, Sura, had taken a job at the New Hope Shelter as a medical assistant. Stephen's mother, Angelique, took over governmental control until the scheduled elections. Scattered protests and violence occurred, but with support of the police force, were of little consequence. Hope grinned as Stephen described how shocked Lissa was when she learned her physical therapy patient was actually the Sol Empress heir. "Tell her", Hope had said with a giggle, "that not even the Empress dared oppose her treatment plans".

Eventually, time came to part. Hope rose and allowed Stephen to interlace formless fingers within hers. He said, "Be careful, Hope, okay? I love you."

"I love you too." The words took Hope by surprise, having slipped effortlessly from her lips.

"Good." Stephen winked, then his image faded away.

Hope collapsed back onto her bed, plopping her head on a pillow, dizzied from the fluttering rush that overcame her. The prospect of romantic love intoxicated her.

Yet still, her rational side hung on to the doubts. Am I being selfish? Association with me puts him at risk. And would I be able to give him the commitment he deserves?

She filed the concerns away for another time and savored the emotional feelings. Somehow, we will make it work.