Chapter 15.2

[Sai]

Sai transmitted visual images and biometric data of Celeste, Moon, and the babies to Bubba, the Sanctuary AI. All others were presumed enemy combatants. Through the internal sensors, Bubba identified each and input data into a predictive tracking program.

Bubba reported, <Sixteen enemy combatants identified. One battle-bot identified. Subjects Celeste and Moon located. Subjects Faith, Hope, and Gabriel not found.>

A surge of random activity momentarily overwhelmed Sai's processors. She worried about the babies. The only acceptable status was that they still lived, and as such, separated from their caregivers, they were likely frightened. And frightened babies were vocal. <Bubba, rescan utilizing auditory sensors and cross-reference with null visual monitoring zones.>

After nine milliseconds, Bubba responded. <Two probable audio sources were located within a ship at dock gamma.>

Sai reviewed the audio data. <Confirm sources Faith and Hope. Presume source Gabriel is located nearby.>

By the Sanctuary map, dock gamma was nine-hundred meters away and not visible from dock alpha, where the Phoenix Star rested. Because of the likelihood of detection, Sai decided not to attempt a link with the unknown starship.

Two male combatants wearing black body armor stood on the bridge of the Phoenix Star. With helmets laid on one chair and pulse rifles leaned against the monitoring panels, they reclined in the other chairs with their feet up on the control panels. The one in the captain's chair swiveled back and forth, rubbing the dark stubble on his face. The other twirled a long thin knife in his hands. Nanny-bot stood motionless against a wall.

Another combatant, a female with short brown hair and a tattoo of a coiled snake spanning from one cheek to around her neck, drove into the dock bay on a motorized cart. She wore the same black body armor and had a rifle slung across her back. Sai listened in as she opened a com link. "Sly, Dagger, I'm coming on board. Keep your greasy fingers off the triggers."

Sly swung around in the Captain's chair to meet her as she stomped into the bridge. He sneered. "What the frack are you doing here, Snake? Did you miss us?"

She rolled her eyes. "I miss you two like I'd miss crotch crabs. Asher sent me to pick up supplies for the rug rats."

Dagger chuckled, spinning his knife on a finger. "So, you gonna play babysitter?"

"Hell no! Diego's pet bitch is watching them."

Sly put on a lecherous smile. "I'd like to watch her bounce up and down on my--"

Snake interrupted. "And then Diego would have your stinking hide made into a lampshade. As much as I would like to discuss gender relations with you low-lifes, I got a job to do. Where's the baby stuff?"

"How the hell do we know?" Sly shrugged.

Nanny-bot stepped forward. "If I may, ma'am, I would assist you with that."

Snake spun around, narrowing her eyes. "And what are you?"

"I am the ship servant-bot." Nanny-bot bowed. "At your service."

"Whatever, just get me the baby supplies."

The android motioned with a hand. "This way, ma'am."

Nanny-bot loaded diapers, milk substitute, and other supplies into a plastic crate. Unseen by the combatant woman, a bio-metric monitor patch found its way into the crate attached to Hope's favorite rattle toy. Since it was unattached to a person, it would not provide any medical data, but it would serve as a tracking device.