Chapter 16.2

[Celeste]

Over the years, Celeste trusted Liam Glynn's guidance. But never had the appearance of his wide red-bearded face been so welcomed.

On the view panel, he lifted a red eyebrow. "It appears we arrived just in time."

Celeste stood, holding an impatient Hope in her arms. Moon stood beside her with Faith in one arm, who gazed up at the face on the view panel, and a squirming Gabriel in the other, who reached for his mother and whimpered.

Celeste smiled. "Indeed so, Liam. Half a minute later and we would not be having this conversation."

"Are you all well?"

Nodding, she said, "Yes, thanks to you."

A wriggling Gabriel nearly pulled himself out of Moon's arm. Crouching, Moon used a leg to support the little boy while re-establishing his arm wrap. Gabriel squirmed again, sliding down until only his arms and head extended above Moon's forearm.

Moon grimaced, handing Gabriel to Celeste. "Here, you take him."

Liam looked to Moon. "Captain, what is your ship's status? Do you need to evacuate?"

"The ship is stable for now. We lost our starboard reactor and thruster. We have powered down for detailed assessments."

"Permission to come aboard."

Moon grinned. "You are more than welcome, sir. Use the portside dock. The starboard dock was damaged."

"Until then." The communication ended.

Hope whined. In Moon's arms, Faith reached out toward her mother.

Celeste sighed. "The little ones are famished. I will take them to the galley and start the process." She turned toward Claire. "Would you help me with them?"

Claire nodded, taking Faith from Moon. Celeste turned to walk out the bridge hatch, following Claire.

Moon stopped her with a hand on her shoulder, letting Clair continue to the galley. "One more thing, Celeste."

He pulled her against himself, sandwiching two small children between them. Cupping the back of her head, Moon pressed their lips together for an overdue kiss. She reciprocated in full, purring as the kiss lingered. But an impatient Hope curled her lip and grabbed a handful of Celeste's dark hair, then yanked.

"Owww!" Celeste pulled back from Moon and rescued her lock of hair. "Okay, little girl! I am going." She walked to the door and turned back one more time, winking at Moon. "Later..."

*****

Celeste nearly crashed into Moon at the galley doorway as he escorted their guests, Captain Liam Glynn and Chancellor Jayna Patel. Liam, wearing the same gray uniform with a red collar stripe as the first time they met, allowed a grin to appear. Jayna walked with her hands behind her back, wearing a red sari. A silver head band held back her gray-streaked black hair. She bowed her head. Celeste put a finger to her lips, tilting her head toward the sleeping baby nuzzled against her neck.

Whispering, she said, "Finally got Gabriel to sleep. I think he thrives on excitement." She put on a half smile. "Much like his father."

After laying the little boy next to his slumbering sisters, Celeste returned to the galley. Moon had just finished introducing Claire to their guests. Bits of spattered pureed vegetables covered Claire's tight shirt and black leggings. The tabletop before her shared the same mess.

Moon threw Claire a cleaning towel. "Hope did that?" The young woman nodded. He said, "We should have warned you about her and vegetables. She has a half meter spray radius."