Chapter 21.3

[Hope]

Hope bypassed the flyer safety constraints and sped low over the colony, coming within ten meters of the rooftops. The excessive speed and out-of-bounds course would attract the attention of the authorities, and an investigation would surely follow. But that was a problem for later.

A few deep breaths helped still her racing heart. Hope muttered, "I can't believe we did that."

Faith leaned back in the front passenger seat with her eyes closed and face pale. "But we did." She opened her eyes and smiled. "You were awesome, Hope."

"No. We were awesome!" Hope let out a single chuckle. "We need a superhero name. How about the Sisters of Virtue?"

The firearms and Krav Maga martial art training that their father had insisted on, sometimes reluctantly received, paid off. Hope had many questions, though, about why the training became so needed. She filed them in the back of her mind, another issue for later. Now was a time for celebration.

But the joy did not last long.

Hope's eyes widened as she glanced at the rear view display. "Oh, crap. There's more of them."

Faith swung her head around to peer out the curved rear window, grimacing from the effort it took on her weakened body. Two flyers approached fast from behind. With a tap on Hope's arm, she said, "You fly fast. I'll keep an eye on them."

Hope firmed her lips and pushed the thrust lever full forward. The whirr from the fans increased in pitch and volume, enough to drown out normal levels of conversation. The acceleration force pressed the women into their seat cushions. The pursuers adjusted their speed to match, coming closer still.

A right-side door of one enemy flyer swung up and a dark-clothed man leaned out with a pulse rifle. Faith held up a hand. "When I tell you, bank hard left." The man took aim and Faith dropped her hand. "Now!"

Hope jerked the yoke to the left. The resulting forces pushed the sisters to the right, straining them against the seat restraints. Two orange plasma bursts streaked by on the right side. Another movement of the yoke sent the flyer down, skimming the hilly brush-covered ground just outside of the town. Another plasma bolt missed above.

Faith gazed out the rear window. "The one firing at us is dropping back."

Hope nodded. "The open door probably increased the aerodynamic drag and they couldn't keep up. At least that limits how much they can shoot at us. And it would be hard to hit anything leaning out the door like that anyway."

Hope flew low to the ground in a zigzag pattern, dodging periodic shots from her pursuers. Both sisters jumped as a plasma bolt slashed a forward fan cowling, erupting in a trail of orange sparks.

Faith narrowed her eyes. "You were saying?"

"Lucky shot."

"So, do we have any kind of plan?"

"Sort of." Hope shrugged. "We'll go through the canyon and see if we can lose them."

Upstream from the family cabin, the river narrowed into a deep red-rock canyon where two rocky ridgelines surrounded the river valley. Hope knew the area. Kayaking the tumbling water within the scenic canyon was a favorite family activity, at least through the lower portion where the white-water rapids were not too treacherous.

A vibration from the pocket sleeve of Hope's leggings caught her attention. With one hand, she extracted her viewer and tossed it to Faith. "Answer this for me? If it's Carlos, tell him I'm busy."

A smile brightened Faith's face. "Dad!" She touched the speaker button. "Hope is here with me."

Moon returned the smile. "Are you alright, Faith?"