Chapter 37

Justice by law is, at best, a shadow of fairness. Nonetheless, it is the best we have.

- Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Celeste]

The Vesper descended from orbit, piercing a feathered veil of high clouds, revealing glistening blue seas surrounding the green archipelagos that made up most of the land area on Vers Nederland. So beautiful. For a few precious moments, the knots in Celeste's gut relaxed. On one of the larger islands, the Sol Empress compound came into view, growing larger as the ship and its escorts plunged through the atmosphere.

Celeste felt fortunate to have any lawyer willing to take her case, but since the Empress Pro Tempore reinstated her as a Sol Priestess, she had the whole Sol Priesthood legal team at her disposal. This would be the trial of the century, according to the media outlets, which spent countless hours speculating on every minute aspect to an enthralled public. Not to be outdone, scores of public officials puffed up in righteous fervor to express their opinions.

Once safely landed, an attendant escorted Celeste to a guest room usually reserved for important visitors. As the automatic door slid open, she gasped at the lavishness of it. The room was easily ten times as large as the cramped quarters she had shared with Moon on the Firebird Rise. Gentle curves and color schemes pleased the eye. Everything about it was designed for comfort — from the big soft bed, to the cushioned chairs in the sitting room, and even the fluffy white robes hanging in the closet.

Celeste parted fine sheer curtains to gaze at the lush gardens below. Her eyes traced a cobbled limestone path that wound down to the docks, where two sailboats bobbed in a gentle sea.

As lavish as it was, this place still lacked one important thing — Moon. Better to be with him in cramped quarters than to live in a luxurious castle without him.

She sat down at a small desk and took the opportunity to contact Moon via long-range com. His holographic image lifted her lonely heart and put a smile on her face. "I've arrived, safe and sound."

"Good," he said, his face brightening. "We are still thirty-two Earth days out. I told Sai not to spare the horses."

"Did Sai understand the metaphor this time?"

"Yes. Finally." Moon grinned. "I think she is as anxious as I am to see you. I can't wait to have you back in my arms again."

"Nor I, love." Celeste reached toward his image as if she could caress his face and touch his lips, but he was many light-years away. She sighed in resignation. "Tomorrow is my first appearance before the Commonwealth High Tribunal. It is just a preliminary hearing, though, to formally enter the charges." She kept silent her fears that the judge might send her to a Commonwealth prison for the trial duration, some place where she would likely not live long enough to receive the verdict.

"Wow!" Moon's eyes went wide. "You got bumped up to the top. Guess they didn't want to mess around with the lower courts." A half grin came to his face. "Do you think they might remand you into my custody, like forever?"

"A fitting sentence for my crimes, no doubt." A warmth flowed through Celeste as she imagined serving time within his embrace. "I love you so much."

"And I love you." Moon put two fingers to his lips. "Stay safe. Call me again after the hearing."

Although weary, sleep did not come easily that night. The extra pillow she hugged to her chest was no substitute for what she truly desired.

*****