Chapter 6

In even the healthiest orchard, some fruit will rot. So it is within the spectrum of humanity, some will become evil.

     - Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Diego]

The tall muscular ex-commando stood before Diego as a holographic image with his usual stoic expression, even though he was actually many light-years away. Diego did not understand the technology that made such instantaneous communication possible over interstellar distances, something the tech-geeks called induced quantum entanglement, but he marveled at it. Lines of interference crossed the image, distorting it for a moment. It did have limitations, though. As the distance increased, data bandwidth became restricted and transmission quality suffered.

"That is very disappointing, Mr. Asher. I had expected better from you and your team. I pay you a lot of money." The corners of Diego's mouth dropped to a frown, looking all the more menacing surrounded by the sharp edges of his trimmed dark beard. He leaned forward in his leather chair.

Diego knew he had more leverage over Asher than money, and he knew that Asher also realized that. Loyalty and performance should never be left to mere greed. Diego also held evidence of Asher's past war crimes.

Asher remained expressionless. "Somehow she avoided the torpedo and destroyed the Corsair. That shouldn't be possible."

"Yet she did." Diego glared, narrowing his dark eyes. "But I think it not her, but that ship, the Phoenix Star, and her captain." He leaned back, looking up. "Use your network. And sweeten the prize enough that every head-hunter in the galaxy will search for her. Spare no expense, Asher. I shall utilize the public eye so that there will be no place she may hide."

"Does your source know where she would go?"

Diego put a hand to his chin and stroked his beard. "Hmm. I shall ask." His eyes dropped and narrowed, blazing a clear warning at the ex-commando. "I want results, Asher! It would be unwise for you to disappoint me again. Do you understand?"

Diego did not wait for a response. He slammed a fist down on his viewer, terminating the connection.

We cannot allow the Line of the Sol Empress to reemerge out of our control.

He laid his buttery-soft black suit jacket, made from the finest Vicuña wool, over a brown therapy couch. He smiled, running his hand across the fine leather. His administrative assistant or selected guests sometimes gave him a special therapy there.

He strolled to the window. The vista from the tallest building on this world, named the Hoge Toren, was breathtaking. Only Chairman Locke had a better view from the penthouse suite, located just above Diego's office. The window looked over artistically created formal gardens and green hills, leading down to a sparkling blue sea.

Such open space was unusual on Vers Nederland, the second planet circling the triple stars called Aquirii, and reserved for only the most powerful. The original Dutch settlers that settled this terraformed world named it. The surface was mostly water and only scattered archipelagos that rose above the waves provided arable land. It was approximately eleven light-years away from humanity's birthplace, but now the seat of power in the Sol Commonwealth. It was no coincidence that the Trade Consortium also had its headquarters here.

He called out. "Claire, cancel this afternoon's appointments. I need to visit the doctor."

A voice responded. "Yes, sir."

*****

Seated at a gray table, Diego sipped his coffee in the small, plain and windowless room. A single overhead lighting panel provided illumination. A young guard in a crisp white shirt stood at attention behind him. Diego lifted his eyes as the prisoner hobbled in, wearing a bright-orange jumpsuit that hung loosely on her slender form.

The Line of the Sol EmpressOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara