Chapter 10

What you see of the world around you is shaped by what you see of yourself.

- Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Diego]

The conversation with the Chairman did not go well.

That entitled asshole! It is people like me, who are not afraid to get their hands dirty, that keep him in his lofty position. But he is not so far from the dirt. If I go down, so does he!

Chairman Corbin Locke had authorized the assassination of Sol Empress Iona. And when efforts to reestablish the Line of the Empress by a group of rogue Priestesses became known, he also authorized their elimination. Diego had proof of all that safely hidden away, just in case. Loyalty had its limits.

Anger flared hot as Diego slouched down in the leather chair, recalling the lessons of his youth. He did not grow up in wealthy privilege like the Chairman and what little ever handed to him came with a price. The son of an abusive father and a drugged-out mother, he scratched his way up from the slums of a desolate mining colony on his own, learning early that if you wanted the good things in life, you had to take them. Loyalty to others was only a means toward reaching your own goals. And woe to anyone who got in his way. Diego's father became the first to learn that.

He took a deep breath to calm a pounding heart. Emotions only impeded the cold calculations required for success. There was no room for useless feelings.

Chairman Locke might actually buy in to the belief that a powerful Trade Consortium was good for humanity, that it would bring prosperity to the Commonwealth. That was the spin used to sell the trade legislation. Vast amounts of money were spent on advertisements, influence, and buying up crooked politicians. But in reality, it would only bring prosperity to the Board, and by extension, the shareholders of companies that belonged to the Consortium.

The Chairman had gone absolutely ballistic when he heard a new heir to the Sol Empress had been born, pounding the table as he ranted.

Did he think this would be easy?

The Commonwealth space force was more like a space farce. How could a frigate warship let a common hauler get away? Now Diego would have to deal with the captain to keep him silent.

Useless!

Diego flung a glass tumbler across the office in his private starship, shattering the fine glass on the opposite wall. Dark liqueur sloughed down the white marble, leaving a sticky sheen behind.

His eyebrows raised to the stifled yelp that rose as the glass smashed against the wall. "Claire? Is that you?"

She stepped in through the open doorway with her head bowed. The tight black dress she wore emphasized her attractive curves, the kind of attire he expected of his administrative assistant. Claire looked up at him, then immediately darted her eyes back down. Her chin trembled.

She never could hide guilt.

Diego narrowed his eyes. "Were you listening in, Claire? You know that is not allowed."

She drew her arms in as if trying to be smaller. Her voice trembled. "I'm... I'm sorry, sir. The door was open and... I couldn't help but overhear."

Claire was right to be frightened. The last time something like this happened, Diego became rough, leaving her naked, bruised, and sobbing. Strict obedience was something he demanded.

He sighed. This was not entirely her fault - he had left the door open.

Claire lifted her moist eyes. "Is it true, sir? Is there a new Sol Empress? Why would you stop her?"

Diego stood up and strolled around the polished wooden conference table, coming close to her. She trembled as he brushed back her long blonde hair and lifted her chin with a hand. "It is not what you think, my dear. This is all a ruse by that terrorist, Celeste Ceil. She hopes to undermine the Consortium and the Commonwealth. That is why we must put a stop to it. Do you understand?"

She nodded slowly.

Diego released her chin. "Good. Now this is all highly confidential. You must never mention it to anybody." His voice became stern. "Know your place, Claire, or you will find yourself back on the hellhole you came from, begging credits from drunk horny spacers. Or worse. Do you understand that?" His eyes burned into hers.

No longer able to endure his glare, she ducked her head back down in submission. "Yes, sir."

"Good." He pointed at the glass shards and spilled liquid at the far wall. "Have that cleaned up."

Claire scurried out the door with her head held low, reminding him of a small dog he once had as a youth, after he disciplined it. He wandered back to his tall leather chair and slumped down in it.

She demonstrated exactly why this new Empress must not become known. The public still clings tightly to the traditions.

A beep on his secure tablet viewer interrupted Diego's glum mood. It was Asher. He answered. "Tell me you have some good news."

The former commando appeared on the screen. "We found Sanctuary, sir."

Straightening in his chair, a small smile came to Diego's face. "That is good news indeed, Mr. Asher."

"It appears to have little or no defenses. Should we destroy it?"

Diego's smile widened. "Oh no, Mr. Asher. This is the break we have been looking for. Seize it, but covertly. Then set a trap for Celeste Ciel and anyone with her. They will come to us."

"Yes, sir."

"One more thing, Mr. Asher. Do we have any assets near the last Raven Sky confrontation?"

"Yes, sir. I have a ship underway now to search for it."

"Change of plans. A certain Sol Priestess by the name of Mihra Gwend visited the Raven Sky. She has certain dangerous information that I do not want to become public. Eventually she will return home. Find her and make sure she never does so. Do you understand?"

Expressionless, Asher nodded. "Understood clearly, sir."

"Excellent, Mr. Asher. I am counting on you. That is all."

The communication ended.

Diego projected a holographic star map above the table, noting the location of Sanctuary provided by Asher, his starship, and a rough estimate of where the Raven Sky might be. Or the Phoenix Star, whatever they call their ship now. By some luck, he on his personal starship, the Vaulted Ambition, was closer to Sanctuary.

He grinned. Perhaps, Celeste, I will be there to greet you.