Chapter 24

Love seeks reunification.

- Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Gabriel]

The swirling winds howled through the docking hatch as it swung open, pelting the walls and floor with blown grit. Gabriel dashed out of the galley, Hope behind him, expecting to find his father. They did, but not as expected. A dark-haired woman grunted, bent over, dragging Moon through the hatchway by his arms, his body plowing a wide streak through the thin reddish-brown dust that coated the floor. Goggles and a neck gaiter covered the woman's mouth and eyes, protecting them from the swirling dust. The howl ceased as the door creaked closed.

Gabriel stood in the hallway with arms crossed and eyebrows elevated, confused by what unfolded before him. The woman turned and froze, letting out a faint gasp. She dropped Moon's arms and let his head thump on the floor.

He stared at the woman while running a hand through bushy hair. Is this Haven? And what had she done to Dad?

The gaiter muted her voice. "Gabriel... Is that you?"

Gabriel's mouth dropped open. How did she know me? He only nodded.

The woman threw off her goggles, letting them drop to the floor, and pulled down the gaiter, leaving behind lines of caked dust on her skin. She rushed over to him, grappling him in a tight, almost suffocating hug. A cloud of dust rained down from her shoulder-length hair. "Oh, it has been so long."

The woman lifted her head to take in Gabriel's sister, standing wide-eyed behind him. "Hope?" The woman hugged her in the same manner. "I wasn't sure I would ever see you again."

As the dust fell away, Gabriel noticed the stylized sun mark tattooed on her neck. She is a Sol Priestess? What is happening here?

With a motion to Gabriel, the woman said, "Help me with your father. Does this ship have a med bay?"

Gabriel picked up his father under the arms and pulled him down the hallway, saying to the woman, "What happened?"

"I shot him."

Hope's eyes popped full open. "You what?"

The woman shrugged. "I couldn't tell who he was, and he had a gun. But I only stunned him."

Gabriel and the woman hefted Moon onto the narrow examination bed. As he swung a transparent half pipe over his father, colored lights and charts appeared on an overhead display screen. The woman pulled off Moon's helmet, gently tucking a small pillow under his head, and placed a hand on his cheek.

She does care about him.

Gabriel stepped back next to his sister with folded arms and narrowed eyes. "Who are you? How do you know us?"

The woman turned and put on a warm smile. "I gave birth to you and your sisters. You nursed at my breasts."

Hope took a sharp breath. "You are Celeste? How... Dad said you were killed!"

"So I meant him to believe."

A voice came from overhead. "Priestess, is that you?"

"Yes, it is, Sai. I am happy to hear your voice again."

"I am overjoyed, Priestess, that you are indeed alive."

Gabriel closed his gaping mouth and shook his head. Dad is going to be so pissed.

Celeste drew Hope and Gabriel back into a tight hug. "I missed you all so much." She lifted her head. "I remember, Gabriel, that you escaped from every crib we had. And you Hope, you were the most tactile, and the loudest one."